Full-Time Seasonal Shorebird Technician – Martha’s Vineyard
The Trustees of Reservations are seeking qualified individuals to assist with monitoring, research, and management activities for nesting and migratory shorebirds at Cape Poge Wildlife Refuge (516 acres), Norton Point Beach (250 acres), Long Point Wildlife Refuge (632 acres), and Wasque (200 acres). The Shorebird Technician is part of a team responsible for barrier beach protection and management.
The Martha’s Vineyard Shorebird Technician position is a full time, seasonal, non-exempt position. The position is expected to last approximately 15 weeks, with an anticipated start date in April/May and an end date in August/September. Housing at a cost may be available on Martha’s Vineyard.
In This Role You Will.
- Perform daily monitoring and management activities for breeding piping plovers, terns, and American oystercatchers, including delineating habitat, locating nests, protecting nests, monitoring chicks, and entering data;
- Contribute to daily reports on the breeding status and location of nesting shorebirds and communicate with the Coastal Ecologist and property management staff to ensure the successful implementation of our barrier beach protection program;
- Assist with the collection of migratory shorebird abundance and distribution data;
- Install, maintain, and remove symbolic fencing, predator exclosures, and signage used to protect breeding and migratory shorebirds as well as other sensitive barrier beach habitats;
- Assist with targeted predator control and monitoring efforts;
- Assist in compilation of data for state piping plover, tern, and American oystercatcher census forms;
- Educate the public about shorebird and barrier beach ecology;
- Assist in the monitoring and management of rare and invasive plant species and other wildlife species as needed;
- Other tasks and duties as assigned.
- Coursework in wildlife biology, ecology, zoology, environmental science, or related field at the undergraduate level or above;
- The ability to identify shorebirds by sight and sound;
- At least 3 months of previous field experience in wildlife studies or wildlife management;
- An established record of either formal or informal experience demonstrating a deep interest in wildlife;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- The ability to work closely and constructively with other staff and the public;
- Demonstrated ability to pay close attention to details and follow detailed procedures accurately.
Preferred Applicants will have Experience with:
- Beach-nesting shorebirds on the Atlantic coast;
- Behavioral data collection;
- Wildlife tracking;
- Coastal wildlife management issues;
- GIS mapping.
- The ability to work outdoors daily, and at times under rigorous conditions;
- The ability to perform physically strenuous duties, such as hiking long distances on the beach;
- The ability to lift/carry 50 pounds;
- The ability to occasionally work some weekends, holidays, and irregular hours (depending upon wildlife and weather);
- A valid driver’s license, as well as a satisfactory driving record as outlined in The Trustees’ driving policy;
- A satisfactory criminal background check (CORI).
The Trustees offers competitive compensation and the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors and the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever. Optional staff housing may be available.
About The Trustees
The Trustees is one of Massachusetts’ largest non-profits and the nation’s first conservation and preservation organization. Today, the places we care about are going fast, and the forces undermining them, including climate change, are moving faster. Our passion is to protect and share with everyone the irreplaceable natural and cultural treasures under our care. We are funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 60,000 member households.
The Trustees has been featured in the Top 100 Women-Led Organizations in Massachusetts for six consecutive years.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees aims to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of its team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.
The Trustees is a signer of the Boston Women’s Workforce Council and a Member of the Boston College Center for Work and Family.
We kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
How to ApplyPleas apply via The Trustees' website linked here.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h05/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405