Part-Time Seasonal Ranger-Becket Quarry
The Engagement Ranger is a seasonal, part-time position at Becket Quarry and is primarily responsible for greeting and educating visitors, enforcing parking fees and providing site-related materials. The Engagement Ranger is also responsible for leading occasional guided walks and programs and assisting with special events. Incumbent also performs general cleaning and/or maintenance of the ranger station, trails, and parking lots.
In This Role You Will:
- Staff the entrance station and greet visitors in a welcoming manner
- Assist visitors with the parking kiosk
- Answer questions about The Trustees of Reservations and the history, geology and ecology of the properties
- Educate visitors about The Trustees mission and encourage them to become active members
- Direct visitors to additional Trustees properties in the Southern Berkshires
- Direct visitors to membership brochures, distribute flyers to the public and on bulletin boards
- Enforce rules and regulations of assigned properties
- Perform tasks safely and in accordance with The Trustees’ safety manual
- Behave in a professional manner with their colleagues, property visitors and volunteers
- Collect admission and/or program fees and sell memberships and permits
- Keep both financial and visitation records and submit weekly reports by email
- Maintain clean facilities and parking lot and picnic areas
- Report safety concerns, incidents, and maintenance needs to the Management Unit Superintendent.
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation
- A genuine commitment to the values and mission represented by The Trustees
- Excellent public speaking skills
- Ability to work without supervision and as well as with other staff
- Ability to communicate with supervisors effectively, both verbally and through written report
- Keen eye for detail
- Ability to work in all weather conditions including heat and rain
- Confidence and calm and be articulate when confronted by uncooperative visitors and when handling emergencies
- CPR & First Aid certification (highly desirable)
- A current driver’s license and good driving record
- Sound computer skills (MS Office programs)
- Willingness to wear Trustees’ provided uniform at all times
- Ability to work weekends
The engagement ranger will work outside through a variety of weather conditions.
Compensation and Benefits:
This is a seasonal, non-exempt, hourly paid position, with an optimal start date in June. This position is based in Becket.
The Trustees offers competitive compensation and the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across the Commonwealth who love the outdoors, who love the distinctive charms of New England, and who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
To prevent the infection and spread of COVID-19, and as an integral part of its public health and safety measures, The Trustees of Reservations requires that all successful applicants show proof of full vaccination by an FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccine before beginning employment, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted. Applicants who believe they need an accommodation of this policy because of a disability, sincerely-held religious belief, or otherwise should inform Human Resources after an offer of employment is extended; please do not include any medical, genetic, or religious information on your application materials.
About The Trustees
The Trustees is one of Massachusetts’ largest non-profits and the nation’s first conservation and preservation organization. Today, the places we care about are going fast, and the forces undermining them, including climate change, are moving faster. Our passion is to protect and share with everyone the irreplaceable natural and cultural treasures under our care. We are funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 70,000 member households.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees aims to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of its team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.
We kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.