Full-Time Resilience & Climate Adaptation Programs Manager
The Manager works with internal and external stakeholders to develop practice resources and education for architects, as well as other projects as assigned, related to resilience and climate adaptation and the built environment. This role will serve as a subject matter resource for external and internal AIA coordination including but not limited to policy, marketing, communications, component relations, and continuing education.
- Contribute to the development and execution of AIA products, services, and events to promote resilience, climate adaptation, and building performance. Work may include aspects of content development, volunteer management, budget management, event planning, and knowledge delivery via print and electronic means, communications and marketing.
- Provide support and help to create, curate, author, and edit technical knowledge resources such as white papers, reports, and practice guides. Supervise projects through marketing and graphic layout.
- Manage education and member engagement activities related to resilience, climate adaptation, and building performance in partnership with AIA member groups, including: Resilience and Adaptation Advisory Group, Resilience Network, and Building Performance Knowledge Community.
- Manages the development and dissemination of programs, projects and resources related to resilience, climate adaptation, and building performance.
- Provides regular program and project budget reporting and updates.
- Work closely with consultants and team members.
- Manages and Support member working groups, including Resilience and Adaptation Advisory Group, Resilience Network, and Building Performance Knowledge Community. Duties include cultivating strong relationships with member chairs, coordinating agendas, and advising on key work products.
- Identifies and supports members that will serve as subject matter experts for speaking, writing, and representing AIA in industry forums.
Facilitates meaningful member engagement in the development and promotion of resilience, climate adaptation, and building performance education, tools, and resources for various audiences.
- Serve as a point of contact on resilience, climate adaptation, and building performance. Serve as an internal Institute spokesperson and/or advisor on relevant issues.
- Supports the Advocacy team with related national model code and policy research and communications.
- External coordination with federal agencies and industry organizations developing research, metrics and rating systems.
- Provides and shares data, knowledge and program communications for dissemination to Committee on Climate Action and Design Excellence (CCADE), Codes Advocacy Network, Component Connect, State & Local Government Network, and the Knowledge Communities, and other AIA departments or stakeholders as required.
- Coordinates communications, and program delivery systems including regular updates to relevant web pages, social media sites, and basecamp networks; works with the AIA Brand and Engagement team to integrate the AIA brand throughout all resilience and climate adaptation activities and promote media coverage at the national and component levels.
- Maintains a comprehensive clearinghouse of information and resources (e.g., statistics, background on past activity, new research, case studies, articles, etc.) on assigned issue and program areas.
- Responds to information requests from AIA members, AIA components, and the general public on Resilience and Climate Adaptation activities and issues.
- AIA members and volunteer groups
- Consultants and vendors
- Current and potential sponsors
- Community leaders
- Related professional organizations and associations
- AIA National and Component staff including Advocacy & Strategy; Brand and Engagement; Knowledge & Practice; Project Management Office; and Product Strategy.
KSAs and Training and Experience:
- Strong understanding of climate and building science, real estate development, equitable communities, and building-scale resilience are required. Experience in AEC firm or governmental agency preferred.
- Experience managing multiple priorities and responsibilities independently in a fast-paced environment. Ability to use independent initiative and sound judgment to complete complex projects on or before deadlines.
- Exceptional collaboration skills and ability to work within a changing environment with multiple stakeholders. Flexibility, dependability and professional communication skills are a must.
- Skill in facilitation, team building, collaborative problem solving, conflict resolution, and systems/process development. Experience identifying and developing opportunities for outreach to member groups, internal and external stakeholders, and underrepresented groups.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated experience writing marketing materials, reports, manuals, articles and correspondence for diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated experience analyzing complex subjects quickly, researching and providing logical presentations.
- Ability to package and coordinate multiple products and services and present them in a cohesive whole.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Teams and knowledge of Internet research methods a must. Graphic, web, marketing and educational skills are a plus.
Bachelors degree in Planning, Urban Design, Architecture, Sustainable Business, or related field desired with a minimum 4-5 years of related experience. Minimal travel may be required.