Full-Time Researh Associate
The Healthcare Anchor Network (HAN) is a growing national collaboration of 70+ leading healthcare systems building more inclusive and sustainable local economies that have adopted the “anchor mission.” HAN member systems realize that the anchor mission means leveraging their substantial economic resources through hiring, purchasing, and investing strategies to address legacies of community disinvestment, to benefit low-income communities and communities of color experiencing the greatest inequities, and to help build communities where all can be healthy and thrive. HAN exists to incubate and scale strategies that establish the anchor mission as a healthcare sector priority and to lead innovation in anchor mission implementation, both internally and in partnership with community.
About the Position
The Research Associate at the Healthcare Anchor Network (HAN) will provide organizational and programmatic support for content development and applied research in community economic development and community wealth building strategies that involve anchor institutions for HAN’s member network of healthcare systems across the United States.
Daily tasks will primarily include (but are not limited to) working collaboratively to develop content and conducting research on behalf of HAN’s core focus areas of:
- Inclusive, local hiring and workforce development
- Impact purchasing
- Place-based impact investing
- Inclusive real estate development and planning strategies
- Anchor collaboratives and community partnerships
- Organizational structures and lessons learned for embedding these strategies
This is a remote, full-time position intended to start late May or mid June 2022 and includes a six month probationary period. This nonexempt, bargaining unit position, classification Program Associate II or III, will report to the Senior Director, Communications and Policy.
The Research Associate will have the following general duties and responsibilities, as well as other duties that may arise based on the demands of specific anchor programs and project deliverables. All tasks below will be executed under the direction of the Senior Director, Communications and Policy, and frequently in collaboration with other HAN project managers.
- Develop short and medium-form practitioner-focused content (e.g., case studies, summary documents, templates, slide decks, etc…)
- Develop long-form practitioner-focused content (e.g., reports, playbooks, papers, toolkits)
- Collaborate with communications team to translate case studies into slide decks and other visual representations and develop op-eds and external facing materials (e.g., infographics, stories of people impacted) related to practitioner examples as needed
- Participate as part of content planning team for in-person and virtual convenings and conferences
- Support initiative group project managers with discrete research requests related HAN member activities
- Build and maintain strong relationships with members and partners through emphasis on high-quality customer service & experience
- Ability to travel 3 – 5 times per year in support of project related events
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative research skills, including the ability to use and interpret a range of sources and clearly summarize findings in writing, and have a commitment to accuracy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to adapt writing style for different audiences
- Open to an iterative-style of content development for the research, in partnership with other colleagues and in support of the organization’s voice
- Demonstrated ability to work on high-functioning teams and move seamlessly between leading and following, including respectful collaboration and communication with lateral teammates, leadership and external stakeholders
- Detail oriented and strong project management skills, including the ability to balance multiple deadlines across several content development and writing projects
- A commitment to and passion for (or commitment to learning about) writing practitioner-focused content about anchor institution-led inclusive, economic development and community wealth building strategies
- Ability to ensure content quality, integrity, and accuracy in a fast-paced environment
- Prior experience with programs and policies affecting people with lower incomes and/or coursework related to these issues is not required but a plus
- Familiarity with one or more software packages used for data analysis (such as STATA, R, Python), Salesforce, and Smartsheet is not required but a plus
Requires a bachelor’s degree and 4+ years of post-college work experience or relevant specialist skills/experience. Advanced degree in public policy, social sciences, economics, or any field that requires strong qualitative skills is a plus.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Job includes a generous benefits package including health care, three weeks of paid vacation per year, and an employer contribution of 7% to a 403(b) retirement plan. The starting salary for a Program Associate II is $58,940 and the maximum salary for a Program Associate III is $72,334. HAN offers a flexible work schedule.
How to Apply
- To Apply: Send résumé/CV, a detailed cover letter regarding your interest in and desire to make a contribution to the mission and work of the Healthcare Anchor Network, a 3-4 page writing sample, in one PDF attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org*. Include “Research Associate” in the subject line. Please note that given the volume of applications we receive, we cannot respond to every applicant. No emails or phone calls, please. We will contact all candidates who qualify for first-round interviews. (*You may shorten longer writing samples for this purpose.)
- Application Deadline: April 30, 2022. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
- Start Date: Mid June
- Location: Remote
- The Healthcare Anchor Network is committed to building a diverse workforce. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
- This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.