Full-Time Research Associate / Postdoctoral Researcher-Carbon
SUMMARY: We seek a Research Associate / Postdoctoral Researcher to join our carbon market analytics group. The Research Associate / Postdoctoral Researcher will work on the development of novel approaches and tools to generate robust demand-side data and information to increase transparency and build confidence in nascent carbon markets. The project focuses on defining an operational architecture, including standards, criteria, and methods, for a global forest and agricultural carbon index and derivative rating system. The index will drive development of the ratings system, providing actionable intelligence to decision makers in the public and private sector, with wide-ranging market, policy and research applications.
- Lead the development of a spatially explicit global land-based carbon index and rating system.
- Coordinate workflows and decision making as part of a diverse project team (e.g., experts in NCS, CDR, forests, soils, agriculture, economics, finance, markets, etc.) made up of Woodwell scientists, external collaborators, and a project steering committee.
- Adapt and refine code for hierarchical index construction, time-series analysis, predictive modeling, weighting approaches, and sensitivity analysis, etc.
- Contribute to peer-reviewed manuscripts describing analytical approaches and real-world
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- PhD. or equivalent experience in data science or related discipline with knowledge and/or experience in index/rating system construction.
- Demonstrated interest in the development of spatially explicit investment tools with applications to climate risk, ESG, etc.
- Strong data science skills including proficiency handling large spatial (raster) data sets and applying AI/machine learning algorithms.
- Strong mathematical and statistical background.
- Experience with cloud-computing, parallel processing, and/or Google Earth Engine.
- Advanced experience with R and/or Python programming language or equivalent.
- Experience with C/C++ or comparable programming languages is desirable.
- Working knowledge of carbon cycling/sequestration in forest and agricultural systems. Superior oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work as a member of an established team in a fast-paced environment.
Application review will begin on: March 15, 2022, or until filled.
Desired Start Date: As soon as possible.
Classification and Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. The annual salary range is $75,000 to $100,000 dependent on qualifications/experience. This is an 18-month fixed-term appointment with the potential to extend. Woodwell offers a generous benefits package and work life balance.
Location: Remote or Falmouth, Massachusetts.
Application Instructions: To apply, please send your cover letter addressing your experience and qualifications in relation to the responsibilities of this position, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references as a single PDF to our careers portal. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please type Research Associate /Postdoctoral Researcher – Carbon on all correspondence.
Please visit Woodwell’s website to learn more about Woodwell’s work.
Located on a 10-acre campus near the village of Woods Hole, the Woodwell Climate Research Center (Woodwell) is a private, non-profit research center. Woodwell is a leading source of climate science that drives the urgent action needed to solve climate change. Woodwell has 60+ staff members and attracts some of today’s top experts on global climate change science.
Woodwell is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information. Woodwell is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all
individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Woodwell
WE NEED ALL VOICES IN THE FIGHT AGAINST CLIMATE CHANGE
Climate change is the greatest challenge of our lifetimes. Woodwell Climate Research Center (Woodwell) understands that the climate crisis—from causes to consequences—is inextricably linked with persistent social injustice. Effectively addressing either requires addressing both. The climate crisis demands that we bring to bear all of the knowledge, expertise, innovation, and creativity that we can collectively muster, and those who have been marginalized and disproportionately impacted must be heard.
The work Woodwell does—the questions we ask, the ways we seek answers, and the strategies we put forward—is stronger when shaped by a diversity of knowledge, perspectives, and experiences. We strive to welcome, respect, and amplify differing voices. We value individuals as they are, with all their differences in race, age, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, language, and mental and physical abilities.
Woodwell acknowledges that our organization, and the scientific community more broadly, have a long way to go in living up to these ideals. We approach the work of improving our organization with the same ambition and commitment to systemic change that we bring to addressing climate change.
We will inevitably make mistakes, but we will continue to listen, learn, and do this critical work. We understand that this work requires an ongoing commitment from each and every one of us. We are actively engaged in building and sustaining an equitable and inclusive culture within our organization, and in fostering greater diversity in climate science.
How to ApplyClick here to apply online.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405