Full-Time Regional Organizer – Petrochemicals and Pollution
General Overview: The Regional Organizer is responsible for supporting the tactical approach and implementation of Climate Reality’s petrochemical opposition campaign in the Gulf South (Louisiana, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and Florida) as well as strategic pipeline operations around the US. Climate Reality’s campaign covers the entire system of petrochemicals from fracking to plastics as well as the resulting toxic pollution, specifically in communities of color, on the state and local level as well as federally. This role will work closely with a second dedicated regional organizer in the Gulf South as well as our two regional organizers in Pennsylvania to serve as the leaders of Climate Reality’s work in this space. This position will work closely with grassroots organizations, community leaders, regional and national coalitions, and Climate Reality chapters that are running or are interested in running this campaign. Support includes but is not limited to building tools for them to use and amplify amongst their networks, helping to train organizers, and generally acting as a personal point of contact for partner organization and our most engaged volunteers. Additionally, this position will be responsible for tracking campaigns efforts, planning and executing local events, and will serve as organization’s on-the-ground contact for coalition and community efforts. The Climate Reality Project is headquartered in Washington, D.C. This will be a remote position, with the organizer residing in Louisiana or Texas. Organizer must have the ability to travel once Covid-19 restrictions allow.
Successful applicants must be at least 18 years of age and will be asked to show proof that they can legally work in the United States.
Duties and Responsibilities
Our job descriptions are general overviews, not a mandatory comprehensive list. If you feel passionate about our efforts and believe that you have the skills to contribute to the growth of our organization, we want to hear from you!
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Creating and maintaining relationships with grassroots organizations, communities, and individuals in the region as well as national coalition members to support diverse and meaningful campaigns and opportunities.
- Supporting chapters and trained leaders running this campaign, as well as larger coalition movements through:
- Conducting regular one-on-one calls and in-person meetings;
- Facilitating campaign working group calls;
- Drafting resources, scripts, and campaign materials;
- Creating and implementing campaign plans;
- Facilitating in-person and/or virtual events, trainings, and actions.
- Tracking progress of campaign efforts and chapter development in coordination with the engagement team to report out on goals reached.
- Training Climate Reality Leaders on campaigns and organizing skills and acting as a skills trainer for in-person and virtual training events.
- Integrating multi-teared tactics stemming from the hyper local level to federal actions and opportunities to uplift and support the needs of larger movement.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Relevant college degree or 1-3 years+ of relevant experience in grassroots organizing (a focus on pollution and environmental justice issues highly encouraged)
- Experience in working with communities and volunteers to cultivate topical knowledge and mobilizing around issues
- Lived experience with marginalized communities.
- Experience working with frontline communities from Louisiana and Texas.
- Diverse, equitable, inclusive and justice lens to organizing.
- Strong community connections and a knowledge of the culture, values, and lifestyles of the living in the region
- Experience with federal, state, and/or local legislative advocacy helpful.
- Attention to detail and adherence to deadlines
- Capable of balancing multiple priorities effectively
- Demonstrable strategic thinker and problem-solving acumen
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and committed to excellence
- Capable of working well with a variety of personalities and leadership styles
- Personal commitment to Climate Reality’s mission and demonstrated knowledge of climate and environmental issues
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communications skills
- Experience and awareness of cultural diversity, ability to work effectively with a diverse group of organizations and volunteers
- A dedication to solving the climate crisis
- Access to a car with a valid and active driver’s license and insurance, as the job requires regional travel
- Ability to work from home with a remote manager and team
- Regular and reliable internet access
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office to include Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency with a data management software preferred
The Climate Reality Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or any other category prohibited by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities, and termination.
How to ApplyTo Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com with ‘Regional Organizer – Petrochemicals and Pollution’ in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405