Full-Time Recycling Coordinator
JOB SUMMARY: The Recycling Coordinator will manage recycling programs, ensuring proper retrieval of recyclable materials and the handling of required documentation and record-keeping of collections. The Recycling Coordinator develops and implements recycling and diversion programs and assists in the promotion of the County’s recycling efforts. The Recycling Coordinator works directly with the County’s customer base via telephone, onsite visits, events, trade shows and outreach educational programs to identify and educate them on proper recycling techniques to improve the quality of materials received at the County’s Recycling Center(s).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Oversees and facilitates recycling pickup and drop-off programs, ensuring compliance with applicable federal, state, and local ordinances and guidelines.
- Coordinates recycling collection schedules to optimize service quality and efficiency; assigns technicians and truck drivers to various routes.
- Coordinates shipments of recyclable materials to processing companies, mini-MRF operator and/or recyclable shipping brokers.
- Identifies and coordinates violations of recycling or solid waste ordinances with County Health Department.
- Designs and implements community solid and hazardous waste management programs.
- Sets recycling plans, goals, and initiatives in the community to minimize waste and encourage program participation and compliance.
- Monitors and evaluates existing commercial and special event recycling programs and makes recommendations for educational and service improvements.
- Drafts and implements operations budget.
- Completes paperwork, record-keeping, or monitoring required for grant-funded projects.
- Performs other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, preferably including coursework in environmental studies or public administration.
- Extensive work experience as a Certified Recycling Professional or familiarity with the states Department of Environmental Protection regulations, waste/recycling services, and municipal ordinances may be substituted for educational requirement.
- At least two years of related work experience required.
LICENSING & CERTIFICATIONS
- Certified Recycling Professional (CRP)
- Certified Public Works Manager (CPWM)
- Valid New Jersey Driver’s License, required
- Supervises and trains recycling technicians, community service workers, and other recycling operations staff.
- May assist with performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
ENVIRONMENTAL AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This position may require all or some of the following: Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer, driving, standing, walking, sitting, talking, hearing, seeing, feeling, grasping, climbing, balancing, crouching, crawling, kneeling, reaching with hands or arms, lift-up to 50-lbs. and exposure to environmental conditions.