Full-Time Recycling and Used Oil Supervisor
The Civicorps Recycling Program offers truck driving training leading to a Class B license. The Recycling and Used Oil Supervisor will work in Civicorps’ Recycling Social Enterprise which provides recycling collection services to small businesses, commercial operations and institutions in Oakland and other parts of the East Bay.
The minimum requirements for the position are a HS Diploma (BA Degree a plus); driver’s license with relatively clean driving record; supervisory and youth development experience; and the ability to pass drug testing. The selected candidate will also be expected to obtain their Class B license with air brakes certification within six months of hire. Applicants with Class B license and air brakes certification will be given preferred consideration.
The Recycling and Used Oil Supervisor will supervise all Recycling interns (approximately 15 but this number may fluctuate and increase over time). The Supervisor will assist in evaluating interns on their skills completing daily routes, safety and operation inspections of vehicles and other equipment, safe work practices, information tracking, as well as knowledge surround the various types of recycling materials (paper, bottles and cans, metals, E-waste and used oil collection center visits. The Supervisor will also drive Class C trucks on regular routes for Civicorps Recycling when necessary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Responsible for supervising and evaluating recycling interns
• Responsible for performing site visits of Certified Collection Centers of used oil
• Responsible for training interns on how to properly perform cite visits of Certified Collection Centers of used oil
• Implement Dock Walking Program
• Lead efforts on updating and evaluating each intern’s progress within the Prosperity Certification platform and maintaining the software and database.
• Work closely with Recycling Manager on ensuring proper number of interns are employed and are progressing through the program.
• Assist with assessing potential intern candidates and conducting interviews
• Assists with managing the efficiency of operations of mixed recyclables collection
• Responsible for performing and supervising basic mechanical repairs and coordinating repair / replacement of vehicles.
• Assist or completes mixed recyclable routes, oil collection site visits or E-waste pick-up / events as needed.
• Operates vehicles in accordance with Civicorps, and DOT (Department of Transportation) requirements as well as all other local, state and federal laws.
• Assist Recycling Manager in maintaining appropriate inventory levels of recycling containers and bins.
• Periodically performs routine maintenance on recycling bins and containers at customer locations.
• Constructs recycling bins and containers as needed.
• High School Diploma or GED (BA Degree a plus)
• Class C license and a clean DMV record
• Ability to obtain Class B license with air brakes certification within 6 months of hire. Applicants with Class B license and air brakes certification will be given preferred consideration.
• Significant supervisory experience
• Youth development and/or trauma informed care experience;
• Able to pass a drug test and stay clean during employment at Civicorps.
• Computer skills and ability to use electronic hardware and software
• Interpersonal and communications skills necessary to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of members of the public
• Time management skills and ability to work efficiently and work independently