Temporary Recreation Technician
Friends of Acadia is accepting applications for seasonal recreation technicians for the 2022 season. The “Rec Techs” will assist Acadia National Park staff in studying recreational use of the park, with a particular emphasis on the carriage roads for the 12-week position. These positions are funded by Friends of Acadia and co-managed by Acadia National Park’s Resource Management Division and Friends of Acadia’s Recreation Technician Lead.
Long Season: One position, End of April – November 25, 2022 (30 weeks)
Short Season: One position, June 6-August 26, 2022 (12 weeks)
Duties for 30-week Recreation Technician:
1. Installs and maintains electronic trail counters on carriage roads and trails and traffic counters on park roads. Tests, troubleshoots, and corrects counter power and alignment. Downloads and processes counter data into usable formats, conducting quality control analyses.
2. Conduct stationary counts of visitors on carriage roads, hiking trails, summits and elsewhere or observes visitor behavior for long periods of time (1 – 6 hours)
3. Processes, organizes, enters trail counter, computer, observation and other data in database and spreadsheet programs. Runs some statistical analyses on data in each
4. Distribute survey cards and administers visitor questionnaires for routine monitoring and research projects
5. Collects other visitor use and impact data on program interests and your own self-interests, assists in other park activities.
6. Processes, organizes, enters trail counter, computer, observation and other data in database and spreadsheet programs. Runs some statistical analyses on data in each.
Duties for 12-Week Recreation Technician:
1.Coordinates scheduling for Carriage Road Ambassador Volunteers and other Citizen Science projects
2.Maintains trail counters on carriage roads and collects other visitor use and impact data
Additional Duties for Both Positions:
1.Writes an end-of season evaluation of work experience with FOA and ANP
2.Gives informal presentations about projects to ANP and FOA staff, donors, and the public
3.Working on your own small research project based on your own interest
4.Performs other duties as assigned.
Desired Qualifications: Ability to use basic computer software—word processing, database, and spreadsheets. Excellent communication and people skills. Practical experience in data collection and record keeping in field and office environments. Must be eager and capable to work hard at physically and socially demanding job, which may involve lifting 50 pounds, hiking 10 miles per day, biking 25 miles, communicating via park radios, working in inclement weather (hot, cold, or wet), and sitting for long stretches attending to routine tasks. Flexibility to adapt to quickly changing work demands and schedules. Hiking or other outdoor experience. Sense of humor. Patience. Natural resources or outdoor recreation coursework helpful.
Requirements: Must pass a federal background check. Valid Driver’s License is needed and must have reliable transportation for travel to/from work. Certifications in basic first aid and CPR. Employees must adhere to Acadia National Park’s uniform and grooming standards.
Period of Service: Long Season will be End of April – November 25, 2022, 40 hours/week (30 weeks) and short season will be June 6 – August 26, 2022. Applicant must be available for the entire season. Successful applicant must attend Acadia National Park Leave No Trace training which includes one night of camping. Days off: 2 days/week to be arranged. Hours will vary. Weekend work expected.
Wages: $17.00/hr. Pay period: Every two weeks. Housing: Applicants will be expected to find their own housing on or near Mount Desert Island. Work Environment: Most work is performed outdoors and may involve moderate risks or discomfort.
Uniforms/Equipment: Uniform shirts, shoes, first aid kits, gloves, backpack, and other personal protective equipment provided. Pants are not provided and must meet uniform standards.
How to Apply
- To Apply: E-mail cover letter, resume, and at least 2 references in one PDF document: email@example.com with “Rec Tech 2022 Application” in the subject line. Call Friends of Acadia at (207) 288-3340 or (207) 288-8726 with questions. Friends of Acadia is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Application Deadlines: 30-week position deadline: Rolling application until January 31st , 2022; 12-week position deadline: Monday January 31st , 2022
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405