Full-Time Project Manager, Global Energy Transitions Tracker – Remote
Global Energy Monitor is seeking an experienced Project Manager for its Global Energy Transitions Tracker.
According to the Intergovernmental Panel of Climate Change (IPCC), we have less than a decade to make massive and unprecedented changes in the global economy to avoid the worst impacts of climate change. To meet that challenge, Global Energy Monitor is creating trackers and other tools to provide detailed information on energy facilities, sponsors, and financing.
The Global Energy Transitions Tracker is a new GEM tracker that will profile scores of areas around the world to provide a holistic picture of opportunities and challenges for transitioning from fossil to clean energy. The tracker will include information on renewable energy targets, electrical transmission capacity, land use, fossil sector employment, social guardrails, environment constraints, and other factors.
About Global Energy Monitor
Global Energy Monitor (GEM) is a network of researchers developing information for the worldwide climate and clean energy movement. Since the organization’s founding in 2007, GEM’s research has become an essential tool for activists, journalists, policymakers, and scientists. GEM’s data and reports are used and cited by organizations ranging from Greenpeace to The Wall Street Journal. GEM’s information is used by Bloomberg Terminals, the International Energy Agency, the IPCC, Climate Analytics, Carbon Tracker Initiative, and hundreds of others.
Note: GEM does not have a central office; instead, GEM works with employees to create suitable home offices catered to the needs of their role. Remote staff need not be based in the United States.
Position Summary and Duties
- Using various global data sources to collect, gather, and vet information to ensure the Global Energy Transitions Tracker will provide the most accurate and timely information for each energy transition area (sources include government data, company reports, news articles, as well as information from partner organizations, etc.).
- Using spreadsheets, databases, and other software tools to manage data sets and analyze energy capacity and production.
- Training and managing the day-to-day work of GEM researchers working on the Global Energy Transitions Tracker.
- Creating, formatting, and updating pages on the GEM.wiki platform, both manually and in consultation with the data team and Program Director to automate processes where possible.
- Creating visual presentations of findings using presentation graphics and online tools.
- Working with software developers to develop websites for presenting the Global Energy Transitions Tracker results.
- Writing briefings and reports summarizing research findings.
- Analyzing and staying abreast of industry, NGO, media, and governmental data and reports to assess current and emerging trends.
- Representing research findings at meetings, conferences, hearings, and other public events.
- Networking with third-party researchers in academia, NGOs, governments, and business organizations seeking to use GEM data and analysis.
- Providing miscellaneous editorial support for GEM publications, such as proofreading, data preparation, and development of figures and charts.
- Providing support for other Global Energy Monitor projects as needed.
Education & Experience
Applicants who tailor their resume and cover letter to these requirements will be prioritized.
The following experience and skills are required for this position:
- 5+ years of experience in energy/environmental research and analysis.
The following experience and skills are desired for this position:
- Knowledge of the environmental and social impacts of energy production and the global political economy of energy generation and procurement.
- Strong research skills, including attention to detail, scrupulous adherence to documented fact, and resourcefulness in using search tools.
- Demonstrated analytical experience in the energy sphere, including experience summarizing and presenting quantitative data, and managing large data sets.
- Effectiveness at networking with partners and building new relationships.
- Track record of working to advance social and environmental justice.
- Professional writing skills.
- Professional data presentation skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Facility with computers, software, and Google Workspace.
- Possession of fundamental coding abilities.
Pay and Benefits
This is a full-time, 40-hour-per-week, work-from-home position. The salary is $90,843 for locations in the United States. Salary and benefits differ for those based outside of the US and may be discussed on an individual basis.
Benefits include (US Based Employees):
- 100% paid health, vision, dental insurance for employee & contribution towards dependent coverage
- Long-term disability and worker’s compensation insurance
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with 5% employer match
- 4 weeks paid vacation, plus 18 holidays, 10 sick leave days, and other leave
- Location-based remote work stipend
- Home office set up & ergonomics reimbursement
- Paid 12-week sabbatical leave after five years
- Paid parental leave
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and this listing will remain open until filled. Applicants must provide a resume, a cover letter, two writing samples, and one data presentation.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact [email protected].
Equal Employment: Global Energy Monitor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment determinations at GEM are based exclusively on the needs of the organization, specific job requirements, and a candidate’s individual qualifications. These determinations are made without regard to race, ethnicity, nationality, religion or belief, age, physical, mental, and/or sensory disability, sex, orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, medical history, or military service. GEM is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Accommodations: We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. Should you require a reasonable accommodation to apply or participate in the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected].
***Please be sure to add [email protected] to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.***