Full-Time Project Manager, Global Energy Ownership Tracker – Remote
Global Energy Monitor is seeking an experienced Project Manager for its new Global Energy Ownership Tracker.
According to the Intergovernmental Panel of Climate Change (IPCC), we have less than a decade to make massive and unprecedented changes in the global economy to avoid the worst impacts of climate change. To meet that challenge, Global Energy Monitor is creating trackers and other tools to provide detailed information on energy facilities, sponsors, and financing.
The Global Energy Ownership Tracker is a new tracker that will overhaul and enhance the ownership data that GEM has already collected for over ten thousand fossil-fueled projects globally in GEM’s Global Coal Plant Tracker, Global Gas Plant Tracker, Global Bioenergy Power Tracker, Global Coal Mine Tracker, and Global Steel Plant Tracker. This project will also support the larger Climate TRACE project that is tracking major sources of greenhouse gas emissions across all sectors, and GEM’s work will also help establish a methodology and standard for reporting ownership data to use across GEM’s work and across sectors in Climate TRACE. Additionally, the ownership tracker will aid the climate movement by highlighting which companies are responsible for greenhouse gas emissions, and can be used for creating comparisons against corporate, national, and international targets for lowering emissions, and for other efforts such as divestment campaigns.
About Global Energy Monitor
Global Energy Monitor (GEM) is a network of researchers developing information for the worldwide climate and clean energy movement. Since the organization’s founding in 2007, GEM’s research has become an essential tool for activists, journalists, policymakers, and scientists. GEM’s data and reports are used and cited by organizations ranging from Greenpeace to The Wall Street Journal. GEM’s information is used by Bloomberg Terminals, the International Energy Agency, the IPCC, Climate Analytics, Carbon Tracker Initiative, and hundreds of others.
Note: GEM does not have a central office; instead, GEM works with employees to create suitable home offices catered to the needs of their role. Remote staff need not be based in the United States.
Position Summary and Duties
- Coordinate with Climate TRACE on the details and deliverables, and coordinate with other members of the coalition to encourage them to adopt the methodology and standards that GEM will establish.
- Manage GEM researchers working on the Global Energy Ownership Tracker (including one dedicated full-time researcher). Together the project manager and researchers will use various global data sources to enhance and vet information to ensure the Global Energy Ownership Tracker provides the most accurate and timely information possible for the ownership of projects that emit greenhouse gasses.
- Use spreadsheets, databases, and other software tools to manage data sets, with the support of GEM’s Data Team for more complex data manipulation and comparison.
- Analyze and stay abreast of industry, NGO, media, and governmental data and reports to assess how to keep GEM’s ownership data up-to-date and how GEM might improve or enhance the ownership data.
- Represent findings at meetings, conferences, hearings, and other public events.
- Network with third-party researchers in academia, NGOs, governments, and business organizations seeking to use GEM data and analysis.
- Provide support for other Global Energy Monitor projects as needed.
Education & Experience
Applicants who tailor their resume and cover letter to these requirements will be prioritized.
The following experience and skills are required for this position:
- Strong research skills, including attention to detail, scrupulous adherence to documented facts, and resourcefulness in using search tools.
- Strong project management experience, including handling data sets of substantial size and/or complexity.
- Demonstrated analytical experience, including experience summarizing and presenting quantitative data, and managing large data sets. Professional writing skills.
- Fluency in English.
The following experience and skills are desired for this position:
- 5+ years of experience.
- Knowledge of the environmental and social impacts of energy production.
- Effectiveness at networking with partners and building new relationships.
- Experience in researching and assessing corporate and project finance structures.
- Track record of working to advance social and environmental justice.
- Professional data presentation skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Facility with computers, software, and Google Workspace.
Pay and Benefits
This is a full-time, 40-hour-per-week, work-from-home position. The salary is $99,959 per year for locations in the United States. Salary and benefits differ for those based outside of the US and may be discussed on an individual basis.
Benefits include (US Based Employees):
- 100% paid health, vision, dental insurance for employee & contribution towards dependent coverage
- Long-term disability and worker’s compensation insurance
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with 5% employer match
- 4 weeks paid vacation, plus 18 holidays, 15 sick leave days, and other leave
- Remote work stipend
- Home office set up & ergonomics reimbursement
- Paid 12-week sabbatical leave after five years
- Paid parental leave
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and this listing will remain open until filled. Applicants must provide a resume, a cover letter, two writing samples, and one data presentation.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact Human Resources at [email protected].
Equal Employment: Global Energy Monitor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment determinations at GEM are based exclusively on the needs of the organization, specific job requirements, and a candidate’s individual qualifications. These determinations are made without regard to race, ethnicity, nationality, religion or belief, age, physical, mental, and/or sensory disability, sex, orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, medical history, or military service. GEM is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Accommodations: We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. Should you require a reasonable accommodation to apply or participate in the job application or interview process, please contact [email protected]
***Please be sure to add [email protected] to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.***