Full-Time Program Officer
Co-founded in 2005 by Robert Redford and his son James Redford, The Redford Center uses the power of storytelling to galvanize environmental justice and regeneration. Our cross-cutting programs support environmental storytellers and invest in impact-driven narrative strategies. By amplifying and changing the conversations around environmentalism, we aim to engage a much broader and more diverse population in the movement.
Over the years, The Redford Center has produced three award-winning feature documentaries and over 30 short films, supported 75+ film and media projects with grants and other services, inspired over 400 student films, and dispersed more than $8 million to our fiscally sponsored projects. Our films activate real change – we have engaged millions of viewers across all 50 states and 45 countries, inspiring hope and generating demand for a world where human and planetary health are fundamental values driving action. Our impact campaigns have halted the construction of dirty coal plants, reconnected the Colorado River to the Sea of Cortez, and helped accelerate the clean energy revolution in America.
The majority of our diverse film portfolio is made by or about women leading the environmental and climate justice movement, and our growing network of 400+ environmentally engaged storytellers also represent youth, communities of color, and LBGTQ+ communities, who are among the groups historically underrepresented in media and the environmental movement, and who are often among those leading progress on the ground and enacting the solutions needed to safeguard humanity and our planet.
As we move to meet the urgency of the times, we are looking for team members who are nimble, excited to help shape a growing organization, and who are energized about our mission of environmental impact using storytelling.
The Program Officer will be a key member of our team to support programmatic growth and implementation, eager to build a strategic and equitable approach into every aspect of our work. This position will work with our program teams to expand our programmatic offerings, reach, and quality, working to support our network of environmental organizations and filmmakers in achieving our mission of using the power of storytelling to galvanize environmental justice and regeneration. We are looking for a proactive, enthusiastic, and self-motivated individual who is excited to join an innovative and fast-growing organization and has a passion for, and background in, environmental work; this position provides a talented individual the chance to help grow a dynamic mission-driven non-profit, with potential opportunities to advance within the organization.
• Support program team(s) in the development, implementation, and evaluation of Redford Center programs.
• Serve as point-of-contact for multiple partners, helping ensure The Redford Center is tracking the progress of partners, providing capacity and technical support, assessing partner needs, capturing best practices and lessons learned, and helping disseminate those practices and lessons.
• Conduct research, develop, and produce resources, tools, case studies, media, and other materials to support program deliverables, including identifying technical assistance and capacity-building resources and approaches.
• Assist in the development and delivery of live and online events (e.g., workshops, community screenings, networking sessions, partner convenings), including designing sessions, identifying speakers, and facilitating meetings and events.
• Develop and/or co-author grant reports, final program reports, and other program documents, including data-based monitoring and evaluation of programs.
• Assist in developing program materials for partners, grantors, and the public; this could include written, visual, or other forms of media.
• Assist with communications strategies and materials including case studies, newsletter articles, blogs, etc.
• Assist with new program proposal development and other administrative program tasks as needed.
• Maintain a working knowledge of program budgets.
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
• Minimum 3-4 years of relevant experience in the non-profit sector, with strong preference for prior work in the environmental, media, and/or film space.
• Experience in project management and collaborating with multiple partners/stakeholders, experience with grants, campaigns, or community organizing is a plus.
• Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to be an effective and proactive team member.
• Excellent communication skills: writing, speaking, and listening, with an emphasis on clear and analytical writing ability.
• Ability to work independently, prioritize projects effectively, take initiative, demonstrate resourcefulness, and respond flexibly to changing work demands.
• Strong organizational and project management skills, ability to multi-task effectively, and demonstrate an understanding of the importance of time management, attention to detail, and follow-through.
• Ability to be a creative thinker and problem-solver.
• Preference given to candidates with experience in:
o Environmental advocacy/justice
o Network/movement building
• A strong affinity with our mission of galvanizing environmental justice and regeneration using storytelling and film.
Salary and Benefits
This is a full-time position located at The Redford Center’s headquarters in The Presidio in San Francisco, California (with options to work from home during the pandemic). The salary range will be $65,000-80,000, commensurate with demonstrated skills and experience. We offer a flexible schedule and an excellent benefits package, including generous paid time off, 100% coverage of employees’ health, dental and vision insurance, commuting expense reimbursement, and participation in a 403b retirement plan.
The Redford Center strives for justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) and prioritizes these values in our organization, programming, and employment practices. JEDI is at the forefront of our strategy and culture, and we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, cultures, skills, and experiences, knowing that the more inclusive we are, the more successful we will be. We are an equal opportunity employer and Black, Indigenous, People of Color, and LBGTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
- Please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter detailing your interest and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Program Manager.”
- Hiring decisions will be made on a rolling basis, and applications are encouraged to be submitted before June 15, 2021.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405