Full-Time Program Officer, Conservation
Program Officer, Conservation
About Fidelity Foundations
The Fidelity Foundations are a group of private foundations that fund a diverse set of programs on a national scale. In addition, the Foundations fund non-profit organizations that strengthen the communities in which Fidelity Investments employees live and work. Our values of integrity, compassion, innovation, and expertise guide our investments in conservation, education, arts and culture, health, and economic opportunity.
Today, the Foundations are at an important and exciting stage in our organizational history having grown and evolved in recent years under new leadership. As our strategies and organization continue to develop, we are seeking individuals with skills and expertise that support the advancement and execution of a long-term portfolio of significant and strategic philanthropic investments.
As a capacity-building funder, the Foundations seek to make catalytic, impactful, and lasting investments in non-profits at strategic inflection points and support projects that substantially enhance their impact and sustainability. Many projects involve planning, infrastructure (e.g., capital and technology), training, and other improvements to increase effectiveness. Grantmaking is executed through quiet giving and most grants are awarded anonymously.
Specifically, the Foundations’ Conservation Program seeks to:
- Protect and revitalize urban land that has the potential to provide enhanced access to open space and benefits for neighborhoods and communities
- Protect the ecological integrity of our land and waters for the benefit of both people and natural communities
- Support effective and sustainable management of land and water resources
- Conserve land both at the landscape and community scale to ensure the long-term health of the environment and to provide recreation and cultural enrichment opportunities
The Conservation Program focuses its efforts on New England. Learn more about one of our Foundations at: www.fidelityfoundation.org.
The Program Officer will be a critical member of a small team, responsible for managing and evaluating a portfolio of philanthropic investments in the Conservation Program, with a particular focus on projects of ecological significance (i.e. protection of the Northern Forest) and community benefit (i.e. community forests, working landscapes, cultural and historic sites).
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Work with the Senior Advisor to envision and cultivate potential grant opportunities aligned with the Foundations’ conservation strategy, particularly in the areas of large-scale land and forest conservation and protecting community gems
- Build and maintain meaningful relationships with practitioners and partners in this work to understand opportunities, challenges, and develop projects of interest to the Trustees
- Work to advance promising proposals and organizations by conducting due diligence through site visits, in-depth materials reviews, financial analysis, and other activities
- Develop and refine proposals and write crisp, detailed internal summaries, documents, analyses, and grant recommendations for senior management
- Participate in and contribute to the Foundations’ research agenda and strategy development in collaboration with Research, Learning, and Evaluation team
- Monitor and evaluate grant effectiveness against stated objectives and overall portfolio effectiveness
- Input relevant and timely information into grants management system and maintain adherence to grant administrative processes
- Provide expertise in support of other program areas and projects as required
- Follow media and literature to stay abreast of nonprofit trends and best practices, and attend relevant conferences to broaden knowledge
The ideal candidate for the Program Office role will exhibit many, but likely not all, of the following experiences and competencies:
- A minimum of 8 years of related work experience, particularly in the areas of land conservation, natural resources, and complex projects and land deals; experience as a nonprofit practitioner in this work is ideal
- Exceptional relationship-building and management skills who can create meaningful long-term relationships to support the Foundations’ conservation efforts
- Natural curiosity and ability to envision possibilities, with an eye towards aligning opportunities with the priorities of the Foundations
- A highly collaborative and collegial team member who understands the dynamics of a family foundation and embraces the opportunities associated with this structure
- The ability to translate complex and voluminous information into clear, concise written project previews, descriptions, and recommendations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, suitable for internal and external audiences
- A proven track record of delivering against goals
- Analytical skills and experience, particularly in conducting due diligence for organizations and projects; ability to assess information to draw sound conclusions
- Ability to multi-task and work flexibly and creatively within a fast-moving, changing, and complex environment
- Ability to move work forward independently and think big picture while applying a keen eye to detail; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in projects and systems
- Experience with strategic planning and execution strongly preferred
- Sound judgment, integrity, humility, and respect for confidentiality
- Strong service orientation
- Experience in philanthropy is preferred but not required
This position will report to the Senior Advisor and will be based in Boston, MA. The successful candidate will need to undergo a comprehensive background check.
Compensation & Benefits
The Fidelity Foundations offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, an annual performance-based bonus, and a comprehensive benefits package.
The Fidelity Foundations have partnered with Cassie Scarano and Ariella Pasackow of Koya Partners for this search. To express your interest in this role please your resume and a thoughtful cover letter at this link. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
The Fidelity Foundations are committed to creating an equitable and inclusive professional environment. We encourage applications from candidates with a diversity of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.
How to Apply
- The Fidelity Foundations have partnered with Cassie Scarano and Ariella Pasackow of Koya Partners for this search. To express your interest in this role please your resume and a thoughtful cover letter at this link. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
- The Fidelity Foundations are committed to creating an equitable and inclusive professional environment. We encourage applications from candidates with a diversity of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405