Full-Time Program Manager, Transportation Fuels and Technology
Summary of Functions:
The mission of the Colorado Energy Office (CEO) is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and consumer energy costs by advancing clean energy, energy efficiency, and zero emission vehicles (ZEV) to benefit all Coloradans. We do this by developing and implementing highly impactful policies and programs, establishing Colorado as a leading state for climate action.
A critical strategy to reduce emissions in Colorado is electrifying the transportation sector – cars, trucks, buses, and bicycles. Colorado has the fifth highest market share for electric vehicles (EVs) in the country, but we have a long way to go to reach our goal of 940,000 EVs on the road by 2030. To achieve this aggressive goal, we provide direct funding for installation of charging stations across Colorado, so drivers can get anywhere in the state in an EV. We also support incentives to purchase an EV, we advocate for improved electricity rates that make it cheaper to own an EV, and we provide education and technical support to consumers and fleets on the environmental and financial benefits of EVs.
Thanks to State and Federal legislation, Colorado stands to receive a significant amount of funding to accelerate transportation electrification. This presents a unique opportunity for the successful candidate to make real and measurable change. This new position will lead development and implementation of a high emitting vehicle replacement program, the first of its kind in Colorado. This program will be funded through the Community Access Enterprise, which seeks to equitably support widespread adoption of electric motor vehicles and electric alternatives and mitigate adverse environmental and health impacts of transportation system use. In developing this new program, the Program Manager will research similar programs, manage stakeholder engagement, design program criteria, launch and administer the program, and track and report impacts and outcomes. Candidates for this position should demonstrate the ability to perform under a high degree of autonomy, think creatively and thoughtfully about new program development, and manage multiple program components from initial design through full implementation and reporting.
CEO is committed to increasing the diversity of our staff and providing culturally responsive programs and services. Therefore, we encourage responses from people of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
Description of Job
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Undertake all necessary activities to develop and implement a high emitting vehicle replacement program for the State of Colorado.
- Develop program criteria including determining which vehicles qualify for replacement, requirements for replaced vehicle end of life, applicant criteria, replacement options and incentives, program metrics and benefits, and others.
- Develop processes and engagement strategies that ensure equity-centered programming that increases access to EVs and electric alternatives, increasing the benefits of EVs to those who are income-qualified, living in disproportionately-impacted communities, or other equity considerations.
- Develop strategies to raise awareness of this new program through collaboration opportunities and other tactics to successfully launch the program in year one and grow in subsequent years.
- Conduct research, stakeholder engagement, and regular program evaluation to ensure program remains responsive to changing conditions, adjust program if necessary to meet community needs and deliver equitable benefits.
- Manage and track overall program budget, oversee applicant awards, review and approve deliverables and invoices, and monitor contractor performance as needed.
- Assist in developing new programming or engaging in other program activities as needed, including electric alternatives such as a community-based electric vehicle car share program.
Minimum Qualifications, Substitutions, Conditions of Employment & Appeal Rights
- Minimum of three years professional experience in program or project management.
- Preferred program or project management experience to include program development and implementation, budget tracking and management, and tracking and reporting program results and outcomes.
- Experience with stakeholder and community engagement, particularly working with community- based programs and individuals who are income-qualified and/or live in disproportionately impacted communities preferred.
- Knowledge of electric and zero emission vehicles preferred.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Strong written, oral, and presentation communication skills.
- High level of initiative and the ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent computer skills including the Microsoft Office and Google suite.
A cover letter and resume must be submitted with the application for consideration. Your cover letter and resume must provide sufficient detail about your background and experience to allow the screening panel to properly assess your experience in the required elements, including your experience and achievements.
The State of Colorado/Office of the Governor offers a generous benefits package including:
- Retirement benefits including PERA Defined Benefit Plan or PERA Defined Contribution Plan*, plus optional 401(k) and 457 plans – https://www.copera.org/
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance coverage – including extensive prescription drug coverage (many preventive medications covered at no cost)
- Wellness programs – participation can reduce employee premiums
- Automatic Short-Term and Optional Long-Term Disability Coverage
- Life and AD&D Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs)
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) job protection and State of Colorado Paid Family Medical Leave (PFML)
- 11 Paid Holidays Annually and Accrued Annual and Sick Leave
- Hybrid work arrangements
- Variety of discounts on services and products available through the State of Colorado’s Work-Life Employment Discount Program
- Access to the Colorado State Employee Assistance Program (CSEAP): offers confidential mental health counseling, professional coaching, employee mediation, 24/7 crisis support
- Free RTD EcoPass to all eligible State Employees
- Training and professional development opportunities, including reduced college tuition through CSU Global
- Credit Union of Colorado Membership Eligibility
- Flexible work from home and work from office options
To learn more about State of Colorado benefits, please visit the state’s benefits portal: https://www.colorado.gov/dhr/benefits.
*For information on mandatory employee salary deferral (in lieu of contribution to Social Security), see COPERA for details: https://www.copera.org/member-contribution-rates
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The State of Colorado believes that equity, diversity, and inclusion drive our success, and we encourage candidates from all identities, backgrounds, and abilities to apply. The State of Colorado is an equal opportunity employer committed to building inclusive, innovative work environments with employees who reflect our communities and enthusiastically serve them. Therefore, in all aspects of the employment process, we provide employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, medical condition related to pregnancy, creed, ancestry, national origin, marital status, genetic information, or military status (with preference given to military veterans), or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
The Office of the Governor is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, our agency will assist individuals who have a disability with any reasonable accommodation requests related to employment, including completing the application process, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, participating in the employee selection process, and/or to perform essential job functions where the requested accommodation does not impose an undue hardship. If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodation to ensure you have a positive experience applying or interviewing for this position, please direct your inquiries to our ADAAA Staffing Coordinator (the Director of Human Resources) at email@example.com.
Conditions of Employment
Applicants must pass a thorough background check prior to employment.
Effective September 20, 2021, employees will be required to attest to and verify that they are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and may be required to submit to regular serial testing. Upon hire, new employees will have three (3) business days to provide attestation to their Covid-19 vaccination status with proof of vaccination. Testing, if required, will take place in-person and will be considered paid work time.
Note: Fully Vaccinated means two (2) weeks after a second dose in a two-dose series of the COVID-19 vaccine, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or two (2) weeks after the single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine, all as defined by the State of Colorado’s Public Health Order and guidance issued by the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment.