Full-Time Program Manager- Indonesia
About the Organization
CLASP serves at the epicenter of collaborative, ambitious efforts to mitigate climate change and in the global movement for clean energy access, through appliance efficiency. Our mission is to improve the energy and environmental performance of the appliances & equipment we use every day, accelerating our transition to a more sustainable world. We work hand-in-hand with governments, experts, industry, consumers, donor organizations and others to propel policies and markets toward the highest-quality, lowest resource-intensive appliances possible.
CLASP has worked in more than 100 countries since our inception in 1999. CLASP is headquartered in Washington, DC, with teams in Europe, Kenya, India and Indonesia. We are mission-driven and committed to a culture of diversity, transparency, collaboration, and impactful work. See our Team Page to learn more about us.
CLASP’s Climate Team
CLASP’s Climate program supports ambitious efforts to mitigate climate change through appliance and equipment energy efficiency. We work in partnership with policymakers and other key stakeholders in dozens of countries—from Brazil to Indonesia, the EU to China—with support from a diverse group of funders.
Our team provides world-class technical and policy advisory services directly to governments to develop and implement the most ambitious and cost-effective appliance efficiency policies all over the world. We accelerate the development of energy-efficient product markets through minimum energy performance standards, informative product labeling, and identification and promotion of the most efficient appliances, both on and off the grid.
Our programs are designed to maximize impacts by targeting high emitters, raising the bar through ground-breaking policies, and advancing technologies to meet sustainable development aspirations around the world.
As our global portfolio continues to grow, we are expanding our team to ensure we can assist countries to meet their climate goals and deliver ambitious energy and carbon emission reductions.
CLASP seeks a Program Manager to manage a growing program aimed at developing the market for efficient products in Indonesia with the ultimate goal to deliver significant energy savings and carbon emissions reductions. The program and office were launched in Jakarta, Indonesia in early 2019, and have been providing support to the Indonesian Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (MEMR).
The Program Manager will lead the design, launch, and management of a wide range of activities and initiatives in support of product energy efficiency policy in Indonesia, and will work collaboratively with CLASP team members in the United States, India, Europe, and elsewhere, along with our wide network of international partners and program stakeholders. S/he will develop partnerships with stakeholders in Indonesia and across Southeast Asia, including government agencies, funding institutions, program partners, appliance manufacturers and distributors, local and international NGOs and companies, etc.
The Program Manager will be responsible for overseeing, leading, advising, and/or contributing to a range of CLASP activities that will be launched in Indonesia, as well as existing projects and programs in Southeast Asia. The primary focus will be to support national and regional policymakers to identify and implement ambitious and cost-effective efficiency policies and programs, drawing on global best practices and leading technical expertise that is resident within CLASP and amongst our partners.
- Build and manage programs: Launch and develop CLASP’s programs and institutional presence within Indonesia and Southeast Asia. Administer CLASP’s emerging Indonesia office, manage project finances, and oversee the work of colleagues and independent contractors.
- Lead and grow a high-performing team: Supervise an emerging team of professional staff, facilitate ongoing training and professional development, and identify future staffing and recruiting needs.
- Establish productive partnerships: Build support among key stakeholders including government decision makers, product companies and trade associations, and bi-lateral and multilateral donor organizations.
- Develop and expand advisory services for on-grid appliance policy: Working closely with CLASP colleagues around the world, build a solid presence and credibility for CLASP’s policy technical assistance programs within Indonesia and Southeast Asia. Identify new business development opportunities and design and implement strategies to capture them.
- Communicate: Work with CLASP’s communications team to prepare and disseminate compelling stories of program success, research outcomes, lessons learned, etc.
- Guide implementation: Design research specifications, monitoring and evaluation metrics, terms of reference, and work plans.
- Track progress: Monitor and evaluate the progress of project activities, identify opportunities for improvement, and communicate about progress to donors and external stakeholders.
- Keep the big picture in mind: Conduct and roll out programs within the larger context of CLASP, partner, and sector efforts.
The Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor’s degree required. Graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g. engineering, international relations, development, economics, environmental science) preferred.
- Entrepreneurial approach to design and execution of long-term initiatives, and a proactive, nimble, and strategic approach to problem-solving.
- 10+ years of experience in international energy policy program design and implementation; business- and partnership- development experience preferred.
- Extensive experience working on the ground in Indonesia and fluency in Bahasa Indonesia.
- Successful experience working with or for Government of Indonesia agencies and ministries in support of energy policy design and implementation highly desirable.
- Experience in product efficiency policy programs or projects highly desirable
- Persuasive communication skills, both verbal and written; excellent written and spoken English a must.
- Demonstrated experience in growing and developing team members.
- Ability to work from the big picture to the small details.
- Ability to maintain composure, flexibility, and a sense of humor under tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and listening skills
Compensation and Location
CLASP provides its employees with a highly competitive salary that is benchmarked annually with other non-profit organizations.
This position is full-time and based in Jakarta, Indonesia. Working with colleagues across global time zones should be expected. Frequent travel throughout Southeast Asia and occasional travel to the US and other global destinations will be required. Compensation will range between $50,000-70,000 based on the candidate’s level of experience.
How to Apply
- To be considered for a position, interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter, at the following link: https://clasp.ent.box.com/f/0b32b8059a9e450ebb2b05336ed81fac indicating your desired position and salary requirements. This position will remain open until filled.
- CLASP is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the citizens we serve. Each person is evaluated based on personal skill and merit.