Full-Time Pool, Spa and Lodging Program Coordinator
The Oregon Health Authority (OHA), Public Health Division (PHD), Environmental Public Health Section, Pool and Lodging Programs in Portland, OR is recruiting for an Environmental Health Specialist 3 position to coordinate the statewide Pool, Spa and Lodging Programs.
What will you do?
As the Pool, Spa and Lodging Program Coordinator, you will administer the day-to-day functions of Oregon’s statewide Public Pool and Tourist Facility Programs carried out in partnership with local public health authorities. You will strengthen the Programs’ roles as a center of excellence in protecting public health and safety in pool recreational and tourism facilities across the state and supporting local public health authority partners and regulated facilities with technical expertise and oversight.
You will develop and revise program objectives and goals; determine program priorities; develop strategies to meet these goals; and establish program guidelines. Additionally, you will provide plan review for new pool and spa construction and conduct construction inspections. You will provide technical consultation to industry, local public health authorities, pool operators and the public. This position is responsible for maintaining technical expertise and awareness of national issues relating to these programs.
- Must be a Registered Environmental Health Specialist or be able to become registered within one month of hire.
- Must be a Certified Pool Operator (CPO) or have the ability to become a CPO within six months of hire.
What’s in it for you?
You will work with a team of public health professionals who are passionate about the work they do to ensure health and safety for Oregonians. You will lead an initiative to strengthen and modernize Oregon’s system for ensuring recreational aquatic safety. Are you experienced in program and project management and process improvement? Do you have experience in environmental health? Do you have experience in the pool and spa industry? Do you have experience in or willingness to learn pool and spa design, functionality, safety, & water chemistry? If so, we want to connect with you!
What are we looking for?
- Two years of experience working under general supervision, conducting environmental health inspections which included providing technical assistance and consultation at local or state level; AND a bachelor’s degree with 45 quarter (30 semester) hours in an environmental or physical science. (Graduate training may substitute for one year of the experience.)
- Experience with pool and spa design, functionality, safety and water chemistry
- General understanding of the Center for Disease Control and Preventions Model Aquatic Health Code
- Experience in project or program management and process improvement
- Experience providing training to adult students
- Experience working with varying levels of governmental offices (city, county, state, federal)
- Experience interpreting existing statutes, rules, regulations, policies and procedures that address environmental public health
- Experience bringing together diverse and/or opposing groups (such as state or local health officials and the regulated community, hotel and pool managers, pool design companies, organizational camp operators, recreational parks) to work through complex problems and come to mutually acceptable solutions
- Experience promoting a culturally competent and diverse work environment