Full-Time Political and Community Organizer
The Political and Community Organizer conducts outreach, develops relationships, and manages strategic collaborations to advance Save The Bay’s climate adaptation and sustainability priorities. We work locally, regionally, and at the state and federal levels to accelerate regional protection from sea level rise and other climate impacts; promote nature-based climate adaptation through restoration of Bay wetlands and urban greening in our cities; and reduce Bay pollution. To build Bay Smart Communities, we promote equitable transit, housing, and access to the Bay, recognizing the disproportionate impact of climate change on the health and safety of vulnerable populations and disadvantaged communities.
The Political and Community Organizer works to secure the support and partnership of elected officials, agencies, community leaders, and organizations for policies and programs that protect the Bay and Bay Area. The Organizer also works closely with our Communications staff to plan and execute digital organizing strategies and advance the organization’s outreach priorities.
We seek a motivated and detail-oriented person who will work both strategically and collaboratively with a wide range of individuals within the organization and externally and be an effective public representative for the organization. This position includes some evening and weekend responsibilities, and travel within the Bay Area when it is safe to do so. This position reports to the Political Director.
- Develop and implement action plans for constituent mobilization and coalition-building strategies to support Save The Bay legislative and policy objectives. These plans and strategies should incorporate goals to improve environmental quality and climate resilience in disadvantaged communities wherever possible.
- Organize grassroots lobbying efforts by supporters, partners, and allies.
- Identify and implement digital organizing strategies to achieve policy objectives. Help to develop print and social media content, recruit volunteers, and conduct other outreach and communications.
- Serve as a primary contact with selected municipal, county, state, and federal elected officials and staff.
- Serve as the primary contact with organizations advocating for equitable climate resilience, smart growth and sustainable development, affordable housing and public transit, neighborhood improvement, water quality protection, and open space preservation and access. Participate as appropriate in community coalitions and campaigns, including those working with and on behalf of disadvantaged communities.
- Conduct research, reconnaissance, and outreach on Save The Bay Action Fund political campaign priorities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least three years of experience leading organizing efforts for successful issue advocacy campaigns, with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Strong persuasive writing, research, editing, and public speaking skills.
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary staff teams, developing and executing work plans, and facilitating meetings.
- Familiarity with agency and legislative processes and community-based political programs.
- Experience working effectively with elected and agency officials, community leaders, environmental activists, and diverse groups of other stakeholders.
- Passion for Save The Bay’s mission.
- Demonstrated interest in diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity; proven ability to work independently and to collaborate effectively.
- Valid California driver’s license; vehicle ownership (or unrestricted access) to use for work purposes is highly desired.
- Proficiency with Windows, Microsoft Office, and Internet research applications.
- Knowledge of environmental policy and political organizing.
- Familiarity with Bay ecology and issues.
- Proficiency with Salesforce and voter files (PDI, VAN, etc.).
Work Environment and Values
We welcome people of all cultural backgrounds, gender expression and sexual orientation to apply and thrive with our growing team. Save The Bay is an equal opportunity employer that strives to recruit a diverse workforce and provide an equitable, and inclusive workplace for all.
Save The Bay’s office is closed during the current health pandemic and all 25 employees are working remotely. We offer a flexible, virtual work environment and provide equipment, training and frequent virtual opportunities to connect.
Salary and Benefits
The starting hourly wage for this full-time, non-exempt position is $28.85 per hour, depending on experience. We offer an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, vision, chiropractic, and life insurance; paid vacation, paid holidays and sick time; 403(b) retirement plan.
How to ApplyThis position is open until filled. To apply, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to include the position title – Political and Community Organizer – in the subject line.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405