Full-Time Policy Manager
Clean Air Carolina (CAC) is a statewide nonprofit organization working since 2003 for cleaner air and solutions to climate change. With offices in Charlotte and Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, Clean Air Carolina has a broad range of programs to advance its mission of ensuring cleaner air quality for all North Carolinians through education and advocacy and by working with partners to reduce sources of pollution.
CAC seeks to hire a Policy Manager responsible for managing its public policy program and advocacy activities to successfully impact law and policy throughout North Carolina and nationally, in alignment with CAC’s mission and core values.
Key objectives of this position are to: 1) advance policy and rulemaking that improves air quality and has a positive impact on the climate crisis; 2) leverage the legal system to achieve strategic changes in case law; and 3) work with partners to further advance our annual legislative agenda. This position builds, strengthens, and maintains a statewide network of diverse organizations, public agencies, media contacts and other partners to achieve our objectives.
The ideal candidate should be outgoing, team-oriented, have a minimum of three years of public policy advocacy experience with a non-profit, and a strong commitment to helping grow a network of advocates to extend CAC’s reach beyond Charlotte. This position reports to the Executive Director and the preferred location is based in CAC’s office located in the Research Triangle Park, however, Charlotte-based candidates will be considered.
- Develop an annual policy agenda for CAC and conduct a training on policy advocacy for board, staff, members and the public each spring
- Educate and advise government officials and staff, civic bodies, and research agencies on legislative, policy, and planning issues related to CAC policy goals
- Oversee legal advocacy program including securing declarants and ensuring goals of the lawsuit and outcome are publicized
- Coordinate CAC’s board policy team, providing continuing education and advocacy goals for the team and entire board
- Communicate CAC’s legal, legislative, and advocacy positions by preparing summaries, conducting impact analyses, creating action alerts and sharing this information across all levels of the organization
Represent CAC’s position at public forums, conferences, government agency meetings and in the press
- Attend government meetings to monitor policy and rulemaking that will inform CAC’s advocacy goals
- Work with CAC’s Communications Manager to coordinate media outreach that promotes our policy agenda and goals
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, government relations or related field
- Minimum of three years of experience in public policy advocacy related position(s)
- Experience in planning, directing and coordinating legislative campaigns
- Strong working knowledge of the various agencies that influence legislation, and rules and regulations effecting air quality
- Analysis, presentation, public speaking (oral communication) and media relations skills
- Strong written skills
- Articulate and professional with a positive attitude
- Ability to think creatively and strategically
- Must be able to travel as needed
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Office
The work environment requires someone that is a self-starter, confident, responsible, reliable, enthusiastic, and goal-oriented. The individual must be flexible in a rapidly-changing work environment and work well independently and as part of a team.
Work Schedule and Compensation
This is an outstanding opportunity to lead a pioneering nonprofit’s development efforts. This full-time (40 hours per week) position requires occasional evening meetings, weekend work, and overnight travel. Clean Air Carolina offers a competitive compensation package to include medical, dental & vision coverage, paid time-off (PTO) and company paid holidays.