Full-Time Policy Design Project Manager
Policy Design Project Manager
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA or Washington, D.C.
FULL/PART TIME: Full-time
REPORTS TO: Robbie Orvis, Senior Director of Energy Policy Design
Energy Innovation is seeking a Policy Design Project Manager with a technical background, experience managing projects internally and with partner organizations, and strong quantitative and modeling skills to join the Energy Policy Solutions team. The Policy Design Project Manager will design and oversee multiple energy policy research projects as well as conduct the analysis and communicate the findings of these projects. They will identify new projects and partners that are in alignment with the current strategy of Energy Innovation’s programs, adapting to the needs of and building relationships with decision-makers to take advantage of opportunities to decarbonize the energy system, in collaboration with the Senior Director.
Energy Innovation is committed to diversity, equity, & inclusion and to a transparent recruitment process that fosters belonging. Our goal is to hire and advance people regardless of race, gender, ability, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, military service, medical condition, and any other protected characteristic under local, state, or federal law. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
We are committed to an accessible application process and employee experience. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or interview process, please email [email protected].
- Build and maintain trusting relationships with decision-makers and identify and manage research to support their decarbonization efforts
- Identify new projects and partners in alignment with EI’s strategy to reduce emissions from sectors that are responsible for the largest share of greenhouse gas emissions globally
- Serve as main point of contact for partners and manage all aspects of projects and relationships, including anticipating the needs of the partners and following up, performing necessary analysis and research, communicating the results, and working with the Senior Director of Energy Policy Design on the progress of projects and key decisions to be made
- Oversee and coordinate research projects with other staff
Policy Research and Communications
- Conduct original research using energy and climate policy models, including our in-house Energy Policy Simulator, to analyze the potential impacts of policies, including proposed legislation or regulations
- Synthesize modeling findings into written communications materials, such as presentations, memos, research papers, blogs, articles, and podcasts
- Deliver expert policy recommendations to high-level decisions makers, while being sensitive to the political implications of the topics researched and the way that research is presented
- 5+ years of experience managing internal and external projects and partnerships
- Background in energy and climate policy analysis, including an understanding of energy models and experience interpreting legislation and/or regulations
- Strong understanding of the fundamentals of scientific and technical subject matter relating to environmental systems, energy technologies, and policy design
- Comfortable with mathematical concepts across different branches of mathematics, including but not limited to calculus, statistics, and geometry
- Interest in and familiarity with U.S. and international politics related to climate
- Experience working with international partners
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Deep interest, passion, and commitment to reducing climate change
- Ability to prioritize and be flexible in a fast-paced, constantly evolving, and collaborative environment
- Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally
To apply please send a resume to [email protected] with “Policy Design Projects Manager” in the subject line. PDF or Microsoft Word file is preferred. This position is open until filled, with an initial application deadline of 5p PST on February 28, 2022. Candidate review and phone screens will begin the week of March 7. Please include the answer to these questions in the body of your email:
- Why are you passionate about reducing climate change?
- What types of internal and/or external research projects have you managed and how have you navigated these successfully?
- What energy or climate policy modeling experience do you have?
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Energy Innovation provides a competitive compensation package, including a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience, and a comprehensive benefits package. Benefits include:
- Up to 100% of premium paid for medical, dental and vision
- STD & LTD disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Carrot fertility and family planning benefits
- Student loan repayment assistance
- 401k retirement plan with a company match contribution
- Public transportation benefit options
- Cell phone and health/wellness reimbursement
- 14 paid holidays and four weeks of paid time off (PTO)
- Regular staff lunches and team building activities
- SF and DC office stocked with healthy snacks and beverages
- An innovative, collaborative, welcoming work culture
Climate change is governed by physical facts—about carbon sources, accumulation, impacts, and timing. It’s also caused by economic and political systems that have led to a fossil fuel dependent energy system. These facts must inform strategy: they show that avoiding dangerous climate change is only possible through strong policy to cut carbon, promptly, in the biggest countries.
To address these issues, Energy Innovation: Policy and Technology LLC (Energy Innovation) was established in 2012 as a clean energy and environmental policy firm to provide timely research and analysis on low-carbon energy policy options to policy makers, thought leaders, and members of the media. The Energy Innovation team has expertise in clean energy, industry, transportation, buildings, technological innovation, and energy policy design. In addition to conducting policy research, Energy Innovation also works with clients to inform philanthropic investments into technology and advocacy that help reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
The Energy Policy Solutions team helps decision-makers understand which policies are most-effective and how to design those policies through original research and modeling using the in-house Energy Policy Simulator. In working directly with decision-makers, we bring a unique perspective and provide timely, critical policy analysis in support of decarbonizing the energy system.