Full-Time Payroll Specialist
The Southern Environmental Law Center’s HR Team is seeking a Payroll Specialist in our Charlottesville, VA. office. This individual will report to our HRIS Manger and, at a high-level, focus on payroll processing and compliance while learning about our benefits and how to administer. This is an excellent opportunity to join a highly successful, nationally recognized organization that is effectively addressing some of the most pressing and challenging environmental issues throughout the South and the nation.
The ideal candidate will bring 3 years of experience in payroll processing. They will also be keen on developing relationships with internal and external stakeholders, have a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and have strong interest in SELC’s mission.
All SELC staff members are required to be vaccinated and boosted prior to working in any of our offices. All staff are currently working a hybrid work model of 3 in-office working days, at a minimum, and up to 2 remote working days per week.
• Maintain, prepare, and process payroll on a semi-monthly basis.
• Respond to staff change requests and questions about paychecks.
• Keep track of and process benefit, deduction, and tax adjustments.
• Process and keep track of annual salary increases.
• Process semi-monthly retirement contributions and periodically reconcile payroll contributions with retirement account custodians.
• Audit non-exempt employee timesheets for hours worked and accuracy; assist non-exempt employees with questions and proper timesheet processes.
• Prepare and pay semi-monthly, monthly, quarterly, and annual filings for federal and state withholding and unemployment taxes across six-state region.
• Prepare and distribute W-2s.
• Assist in preparing fiscal year end compensation reconciliation spreadsheets for annual audit.
• Reconcile insurance invoice audit spreadsheets and ensure congruency with payroll deductions. This includes payment of all insurance invoices and coordination with Finance to record the transactions.
• Prepare memos and ensure proper documentation of various payroll adjustments.
• Ensure all employee payroll accounts are set up, tracked, and processed appropriately through payroll. This includes all aspects of the employee lifecycle from hire to termination.
• Ensure pay procedures are compliant with consistently changing regulations and are conducted using best practices.
• Maintain knowledge of IRS regulations
• Collect data for annual EEO reporting
• Respond to unemployment claims and employment verifications in a timely manner.
• Compile payroll census data for audit and benefit renewal needs
• Advanced Excel skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Organized, diligent, and task-oriented but with an interest in overall purpose and strategy
• 3+ years of experience processing payroll
• Personal commitment to supporting an inclusive HR team and workplace
• Experience with Great Plains (Microsoft Dynamics GP) or a similar accounting software
• Solid collaboration and teamworking skills
• Customer-service mindset
• Nonprofit experience
• Environmental interest
• Appreciation of and connection with our organization values
The Southern Environmental Law Center is one of the nation’s most powerful defenders of the environment, rooted in the South. With a long track record, SELC takes on the toughest environmental challenges in court, in government, and in our communities to protect our region’s air, water, climate, wildlife, lands, and people. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the organization has a staff of over 170, including more than 80 attorneys, and is headquartered in Charlottesville, VA., with offices in Asheville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Chapel Hill, Charleston, Nashville, Richmond, and Washington, DC.
At our core, we are place-based, rooted in our region, and connected with the communities and clients we serve. We believe in an equitable and inclusive workplace that reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of our region and allows diverse perspectives to come to the forefront. We approach our work with the highest level of integrity, holding ourselves to high standards with an emphasis on honesty, accountability, and thoughtfulness. We value collaboration and camaraderie, realizing we are strongest when we work together and knowing that everyone has a critical role to play. We strive for impact through a strategic, bold, pragmatic, and ambitious outlook that is dedicated to achieving powerful results. We believe in these values and in the power of SELC. We hope you consider joining us. Learn more at https://www.southernenvironment.org/.
SELC offers salaries competitive with other leading environmental nonprofits nationally and provides an excellent benefits package. The starting salary range for this position is $60,000 – $75,000, commensurate with experience. For more details about our benefits package, please visit our Careers page.
Additionally, anyone relocating for the position will be eligible for reimbursement from SELC for moving-related expenses.
How to Apply
- To apply, click this link to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume.
- SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive workplace environment. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this commitment. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.