Full-Time Payroll and Benefits Administrator
Veritable Vegetable (VV) is a women-owned and led organic produce distribution company based in San Francisco, California. Established in 1974, we source and deliver the freshest and highest quality produce.
Our Payroll and Benefits Administrator is responsible for the administration of payroll and payroll related activities and provides support and assistance to the Finance Department and Human Resources Department.
Why choose VV?
- Values-driven B-Corp: We are a sustainability focused company with nearly 50 years of experience
- Women-owned and led: We create a collaborative, cooperative and inclusive workplace for all
- Real benefits: Medical, dental, life insurance, 401k matching, flexible spending account, reimbursement program for vision, massage, acupuncture, chiropractor, yoga and gym, employee assistance programs, commuter reimbursement, and much more (full list below)
- Free meals: Organic lunch provided daily, plus access to organic fruits, veggies, and snacks
- Monitor time clock information, fully understanding payroll overtime rules and how they work in conjunction with each other as well as fully understanding the purpose, use and functionality of all pay categories;
- Maintain payroll files, fringe benefits and payroll deductions, understanding wage and fringe benefit taxability;
- Prepare payroll tax deposits, fully understanding federal, state and city payroll tax deposit rules;
- Reconcile and review payroll tax returns, understanding how and what pay information summarizes on returns as well as understand how information on returns interrelate;
- Monitor garnishments, fully understanding garnishment hierarchy and deduction set up;
- Respond timely to staff inquiries;
- Prepare and reconcile 401k contributions, deductions and employer match submissions, understanding legal responsibilities of accurate and processing timely submission;
- Prepare worker comp reports, reconciling to payroll tax returns and understanding how classification codes, overtime and double time affect calculation;
- Prepare payroll and payroll related general ledger journal entries, understanding payroll related assets, liabilities and expenses;
- Reconcile payroll general ledger accounts;
- Recommend and manage implementation of changes to systems;
- Document and maintain written payroll procedures.
- Enroll staff with benefit carriers and process qualifying event changes;
- Ensure the accuracy of all benefits enrollments to provide vendors with accurate eligibility information;
- Process new-hire, status change and termination paperwork;
- Update payroll database and applicable spreadsheets with new and changing information, ensure accuracy and integrity of information;
- Reconcile benefits-related data (e.g. invoices);
- Assist HR Director in informing staff members regarding benefit claim issues and plan changes;
- Respond to benefit inquiries from managers and staff members on plan provisions, benefit enrollments, status changes, and other general inquiries;
- Respond to 401(k) inquiries from managers and employees relating to enrollments, plan changes, and contribution amounts;
- Assist with New Hire Orientations and Open Enrollments.
- Run payroll reports as requested.
Accounts Payable Support
- Daily filing;
- Process vendor invoices and payments.
Accounts Receivable Support
- Pick up, reconcile, and scan customer payments.
General Accounting Support
- Participate in month end inventory count verification, accurately counting randomly selected inventory items;
- Various other projects and tasks as directed by the Finance Director or Finance Manager.
- Exercise discretion in all transactions, maintain confidentiality in all communications and job duties
- Willingness and desire to learn Wage and Hour law and compliance
- Being organized; maintaining meticulous files and records
- Being service-oriented; actively looking for ways to evaluate and help people
- Being exact or highly accurate in data entry
- Determining tasks, priorities, and goal and meeting strict deadlines
- Working both independently and in a group to accomplish work goals
- Taking responsibility for work outcomes and results
- Understand and act in accordance with Veritable Vegetable’s mission statement and values in the workplace
Abilities and Skills
- Communicate effectively with others either in writing, by telephone or face-to-face as appropriate for the need of the audience.
- Understand Finance Department systems and follow instructions
- Use logic and reasoning to identify and solve problems
- Exercise good judgment and decision making
- Manage one’s own time well
- Work collaboratively internally and externally
- Maintain professionalism in all interactions
- Possess a strong mathematical aptitude
- 2-5 years of payroll processing experience
- Proficient in Excel and other Microsoft Office applications
- Knowledge of Paychex Flex and Report Writer payroll software a plus
- Knowledge of time and attendance software a plus
- General Knowledge of accounting practices a plus
- HR Capacity
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
- Must be able to lift full file boxes (approx. 35 lbs.)
- Must be able to perform job tasks in close physical proximity to other people
- Must be able to filter out extraneous noise while on the phone
- Must be able to do constant computer work
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Health and dental, plus life insurance and long-term disability
- Reimbursement program for vision, acupuncture, massage, and chiropractor, plus yoga and gym
- Employee Assistance Programs for counseling at low, or no cost
- 401(k) plan with 4% match in socially responsible mutual funds
- Section 125 pre-tax Cafeteria plan (FSA)
- Referral bonuses up to $5k
- Flexible holiday and leave policies
- Infant support benefits
- Commuter reimbursement
- Free organic meals and snacks
- Lost cost access to organic fruits, vegetables, and fresh juices
- Boot reimbursement for warehouse staff and drivers
- Incentives for voting in elections
- Extensive in-house training
Salary Range: $65,000 – $80,000 / annually
Schedule: Full time. Day time flex/hybrid schedule. At least 3 days on-site weekly.
100% on-site during training period.