Part-Time Park Events Associate
Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy is seeking part-time Park Events Associates for its 2023 season, from approximately May 1-October 22, 2023. Please note, alternative onboarding and offboarding dates are May 31 / June 5 for onboarding, and August 13 for offboarding.
Pay rate is $18/hour. This is a part-time hourly position, approximately 15-25 hours per week.
Park Events Associates are a key part of our events team, working directly with the public and the wider Brooklyn community on free cultural, fitness, and recreational programs big and small, including our weekly fitness classes and kayaking sessions, large-scale dance parties, signature Movies With A View screenings, and so much more.
Expect hands-on experience in a variety of beautiful, outdoor settings while we bring joy to tens of thousands of park visitors over the course of the programming season. What’s more, you’ll get useful, transferable skills and opportunities to directly contribute to hundreds of meaningful events for the public.
Ideal applicants have an interest in events, public programming and working outdoors. You will be working directly with the public and volunteers, and will be expected to lead small projects independently and in highly collaborative settings. An interest and background in outdoor/water recreation and environmental stewardship is welcome. The successful applicant will understand our mission quickly and will be comfortable working outside in all types of weather.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working outdoors to facilitate various public programs, including setup, breakdown, check-ins and on-site presence for various events. Events include concerts, film screenings, dance parties, fitness classes and much more.
- Assisting our partners, the Brooklyn Bridge Park Boathouse, with the kayaking program, including check-in and registration.
- Receiving optional safety boater training in order to serve as an on-water presence for our kayaking program.
- Assisting staff with public environmental education workshops in the Park.
- Working and communicating with program partners to ensure they are supported.
- Tracking and updating visitor information, including liability and release waivers, demographic breakdown and total participant numbers.
- Maintaining public programming equipment, tracking inventory and organizing all supplies in a professional manner.
- Providing general administrative support to staff, including taking pictures and putting up signage throughout the Park.
- Current college student or recent college graduate, or comparable training and vocational education
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Responsible and detail-oriented
- Ability to work quickly, independently, accurately and consistently
- Interest in executing hands-on, public-facing events
- Ability to perform outdoor physical labor (lift 40 lbs) in all weather conditions and on various surfaces (asphalt, grass, turf, natural shore line)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Ability to use the Internet for research and communication
- Outgoing, curious, mature, positive, and a self-starter
How to Apply
- How to apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume and a list of two references (include their name, title and email) as a single PDF file to [email protected].
- Please include “Park Events Associate - [YOUR NAME]” as your subject line. "Application deadline: Friday, February 24 or until all positions are filled, whichever comes first. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Please note: All new hires must be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the Conservancy.
- If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please contact [email protected]. However, please note we cannot accept any emails or phone calls with questions regarding the position.
- Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
- We are committed to an inclusive and equitable work environment, BIPOC candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.