Full-Time Outreach & Education Program Manager
The New Jersey Highlands Coalition is seeking to fill the position of Manager of Outreach and Education. This person will join our team and lead development and implementation of public engagement strategies online and in person. This role will provide administrative support to the Coalition and our member/ partner organizations, volunteer committees, and support a variety of fundraising initiatives.
The Coalition represents a diverse network of organizations and individuals. Our mission is to protect, enhance and promote the vital water and other natural & cultural resources of the New Jersey Highlands, and to preserve the quality and quantity of drinking water for the more than 6.2 million people in New Jersey who depend on Highlands’ water. The Coalition works on a wide range of issues that affect the Highlands throughout the region and elsewhere in New Jersey, including making occasional trips to the state capital in Trenton.
Qualified candidates should email a copy of their resume, a cover letter, and a writing sample to email@example.com, subject line: [Your last name]: Outreach and Education Director. All application materials will be kept confidential.
This position is available until filled. Candidate interviews will begin immediately and continue until an offer is made.
The Outreach & Education Program Manager will:
- Develop and implement public outreach and education campaigns and initiatives to raise awareness of the Highlands Coalition, the Highlands region, natural resource protection, water protection, and climate change impacts to New Jersey.
- Maintain the Coalition’s email marketing database, social media channels and the NJ Highlands Coalition Website.
- Support the planning and execution of educational, fundraiser, and campaign events.
- Produce periodic updates (digital and print) and action alerts on relevant issues.
- Provide administrative assistance in the planning and coordination of some Coalition meetings and keep minutes for the Coalition’s Natural Heritage and Policy Committees.
- Attend Highlands Council and Highlands Development Credit Bank meetings, monitor the Regional Master Plan conformance process and work with Coalition staff to submit pertinent comments.
- Represent the Coalition at various environmental committee meetings, as required.
- Maintain an interesting and engaging table display and represent the Coalition at various public/ community events.
- Work with Coalition Staff to plan and host lecture events/webinars on environmental issues affecting the Highlands, including screening the 2004 NJN Documentary “The Highlands Rediscovered”.
- Provide GIS/ basic mapping services inhouse and occasionally for members.
- Work with staff on projects, as needed.
- The ideal applicant for this position will have at least a BSc degree in an environmental science or related subject. Must be a self-starter, able to prioritize, handle multiple tasks and projects across a diverse region, use good judgment and offer recommendations to solve problems.
- Experience in community organizing and advocacy
- Demonstrated experience managing digital and social media communications and tracking success.
- Experience working with volunteers and other stakeholders.
- Ability and willingness to travel and work a variable schedule including some evenings and weekends.
- Competent with complete Microsoft Office Suite.
- Some experience public speaking and/or teaching.
- Valid driver’s license and insurance.
Desirable qualifications (not required):
- Proficiency with Website management (WordPress).
- Proficiency with design software (Adobe Creative Cloud).
- Familiarity with land use regulations and procedures.
- Experience in public administration, outdoor recreation, environmental education, or related field.
- GIS proficiency (a GIS certificate is preferred).
Supervision and Work Environment:
The Outreach & Education Program Manager reports to the Executive Director, while working with all team members at the Highlands Coalition. They are expected to prioritize their work to meet day-to-day demands and ongoing assignments. This position provides regular updates to the team on ongoing projects and should seek advice on new or controversial aspects of their work. This is a full-time position based in our offices in Boonton, New Jersey, starting immediately. It offers a full-time salary of $44,000 per annum with health benefits, three weeks vacation and opportunities for learning. The Highlands Coalition fosters a collegial work environment that includes volunteers and staff, as well as the volunteers and staff of numerous partner organizations. Travel throughout the region and an irregular work schedule is part of the position.
The New Jersey Highlands Coalition is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive workspace. Acknowledging the importance of diverse perspectives, we are committed to employing individuals from all backgrounds and with a variety of experiences.
Find out more about the New Jersey Highlands Coalition:
How to ApplyQualified candidates should email a copy of their resume, a cover letter, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: [Your last name]: Outreach and Education Director. All application materials will be kept confidential.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405