Part-Time Outreach Coordinator
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: CAP/CPC OUTREACH COORDINATOR
$25 per hour plus mileage; estimated up to 40 hours per month (exceeding 40 hours per month will require approval of the Governing Committee).
The job of Outreach Coordinator requires a candidate who can work from home as an essential part of a volunteer driven grassroots non-profit organization, the Calaveras Community Action Project (CAP), whose mission is to protect and improve the natural and built environments in Calaveras County by empowering people to claim their rights and participate in local government. The Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for promoting CAP and its programs in Calaveras County and the region. Outreach efforts during the Covid-19 pandemic will reflect the need to prohibit the spread of the virus.
CAP was formed in 2005 and its primary program is the Calaveras Planning Coalition (CPC), which is a federation of regional and local organizations, community groups, and concerned individuals who promote public participation in land use and resource planning to ensure a healthy human, natural, and economic environment. CAP/CPC work has focused on four areas: the general plan update, community plan preparation, water plans, and technical assistance to threatened neighborhoods. The Outreach Coordinator may be required to attend government, agency, or community meetings to represent CAP/CPC. Without a physical office, CAP/CPC conducts business during two monthly meetings and communicates primarily through emails and telephone calls. The Outreach Coordinator will need to work independently as do all CAP/CPC members and staff.
Although CAP/CPC has consistently advocated since 2006 for a general plan that protects open space values and sufficiently mitigates the impacts of growth and development, the Calaveras County Board of Supervisors adopted an updated General Plan in November 2019 that violates state planning law and the California Environmental Quality Act. On December 9, 2019, the CPC filed a case in Calaveras County Superior Court challenging the General Plan Update (GPU). The Outreach Coordinator will need to become familiar with the lawsuit and be able to effectively communicate its purpose.
Responsibilities and Duties
- media relations and press releases;
- email and social media communications;
- website maintenance (with professional assistance as necessary);
- community organizing and public speaking;
- recruit new members;
- schedule and attend CAP and CPC meetings (via Zoom until further notice due to the pandemic);
- distribute brochures and other handouts;
- maintain current contact information on members, donors, and supporters;
- staff CAP/CPC booths at community events such as Earth Day (when such events resume);
- supervise volunteers;
- assist with fundraising, including grant writing.
- Education: High School Diploma; AA or BA Degree preferred.
- Experience: Previous employment by a grassroots non-profit organization, and/or employment by an agency or organization working on rural, environmental, or land use planning issues. Volunteer employment will be considered and degrees or certificates in related fields may be substituted for experience.
- Specific skills: Clear and persuasive writing; ability to read and comprehend complex information; computer literacy; familiarity with FaceBook and other social media; organization and coordination; public speaking; and the ability to work independently.
- Personal characteristics: Able to work well with others and build consensus; willingness to learn; self-motivation; and commitment to a sustainable future.
The Outreach Coordinator will report to the CPC Facilitator, who will serve as the Outreach Coordinator’s immediate supervisor, and to the CAP Governing Committee.
How to ApplyContact Information for Applicants If you are interested in working toward a better future for Calaveras County as the CAP/CPC Outreach Coordinator, please contact CPC Facilitator Tom Infusino: firstname.lastname@example.org or (209) 295-8866.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405