Part-Time Outdoor Instructor
We are currently seeking an Outdoor Instructor with experience working in youth development, ideally in the Boston area.
Based in Boston, MA, the Outdoor Instructor position is available March to November, with the opportunity to be re-hired in February for our winter programs. As an Outdoor Instructor, you will assist our Lead Instructor in planning and leading after-school and weekend outings, as well as several overnight camping trips in New Hampshire (White Mountain National Forest). You will also assist with some administrate responsibilities and have the opportunity to learn the ins-and-outs of how a small non-profit operates.
This position represents a great opportunity to work closely with Boston area youth agencies, while teaching in and experiencing the outdoors. Strong outdoor skills is not a requirement because we often partner with certified instructors and guides who are experts in their field, however a passion for the outdoors and an interest in developing outdoor skills is preferred. You will be trained by our Lead Instructor before joining him on any outings.
- Lead groups of 12-15 youth (ages 10 to 14) on a variety of outings in the Greater Boston Area. Some overnight camping trips will be to New Hampshire. Activities include hiking, kayaking, fishing, sailing, surfing, and camping.
- Collaborate with Lead Instructor to design a plan of action and write curriculum for a successful outing. Primary areas of focus: Leadership skills, social and emotional learning, risk-management, communication & team-building, and outdoor skills.
- Maintain the safety of the group at all times – safety is always #1 priority.
- Complete post-trip reporting responsibilities including trip summaries, statistics, and organizing paperwork and photographs. Provide recommendations for program improvement.
- Conduct participant pick-up/drop-off from the Boston area driving a 15-passenger van (Lead Instructor will do a majority of driving).
- Required Qualifications:
- Dedication to the Elevate Youth mission and vision.
- Experience in youth development work.
- Strong leadership & communication skills.
- Ability to drive 15-passenger van safely and possession of a clear personal driving history. (Must hold valid driver’s license and be able to pass a DOT medical exam.)
- Excellent logistical and organizational skills for program planning and implementation.
- First Aid and CPR (Can be obtained upon hire)
- Ability to be flexible with work schedule.
- Ability to work several weekends and evenings (at least one weekend per month).
Seasonal Benefits of working with Elevate Youth:
- Flexible schedule
- Ability to work from home when planning curriculum and preparing trip logistics
- Pro-deals with major gear distributors