Full-Time Operations Manager
Hyphae Design Laboratory is a cutting edge design, engineering, research and innovation firm. Our work revolves around creating novel solutions to the existential threats facing the built environment, our urban condition, human health and earth’s biodiverse ecosystems.
Hyphae works nationally and internationally, assembling and joining highly collaborative teams, facilitating complex, integrated, challenging projects that are uniquely tailored to people and place.
Hyphae also undertakes long term research projects in collaboration with government agencies, academic researchers and other companies to develop novel science, technological innovation and products.
We are currently looking for a collaborative, multidimensional, solutions-oriented, self-starter to join our team as the Operations Manager to help Hyphae’s team and mission thrive!
We are seeking someone with a startup mentality, who is interested in implementing and developing operating structure for both our existing business as well as new, diverse business models.
Typical Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting leadership in developing innovative management structure
- Herding Cats, (organizing diverse creative team members.
- Helping project managers with budgeting and reporting for invoicing and project efficiency.
- Helping develop new business directions
- Accounting: invoicing clients, office bill payment, bookkeeping, business financial forecasting, tax support and financial reports
- Managing General Operations: creating standard operating procedures, evaluating business systems, records & file structure,
- Basic IT support and other administrative tasks.
- Human Resources: General support to employees, managing and reporting payroll, onboarding new employees and interns, benefit administration, assisting in employee reviews and other HR needs around the office.
An ideal candidate will have the following experience:
- At least 3-5 years business, start-up and/or financial management experience.
- Desire to work with an intimate, passionate team on complex, fast-paced mission-driven work.
- Ambition towards greatness
- Excellent organization skills, strict attention to detail, accuracy, follow-through and commitment to high-quality work.
- Self-starter; highly motivated and resourceful team-player. Comfortable with ambiguity and the ability to work through solutions.
- Flexibility, emotional intelligence, positive attitude, enthusiasm, willingness to help others.
- Interest, comfort, and strength working in a small, dynamic organization.
- Experience using spreadsheet and word programs.
- Previous Management, Administrative, or Payroll/HR experience.
- Basic accounting and financial management experience (QuickBooks)
- IT knowledge, and/or managing IT subs
- Experience working in small business management
Compensation is negotiable and based on level of experience. The Office Manager will receive Health/Dental benefits and Paid Time Off after 3 months of permanent employment.
We are located in Downtown Oakland, a few blocks from the 12th Street BART station.