Full-Time Operations and Finance Manager
Operations and Finance Manager
The Alliance Center envisions a sustainable and equitable future in which all communities thrive, democracy is strong, the economy works for everyone and the planet is healthy. To realize this vision, The Alliance Center demonstrates sustainability in action and mobilizes change agents to accelerate solutions. Visit (www.thealliancecenter.org) to learn more.
The Alliance Center has three main strategies to advance our mission and vision:
- Grow the capacity of change agents advancing critical sustainability solutions through the Nonprofit Center.
- Mobilize our network of change agents to combat climate change and accelerate the transformation to an equitable and regenerative society through the Regenerative Recovery Coalition.
- Pilot innovative solutions to sustainability and health challenges utilizing our building as a demonstration site through the Living Lab
Overview of the Position:
The Operations and Finance Manager is responsible for the systems, policies and tools the full organization utilizes to get work done. The position ensures day to day operations are efficient and effective.
The Operations and Finance Manager performs or oversees routine operational duties across The Alliance Center’s accounting, IT, HR, legal and insurance areas. This includes some bookkeeping work, overseeing employee onboarding, benefits management and other similar operational duties. This position also provides needed administrative support by handling the logistics for full team events.
To successfully fulfill this role, the Operations and Finance Manager often serves as the primary point of contact between the organization and critical outside vendors providing HR, IT, legal, insurance and other similar services. The Operations and Finance Manager needs to be skilled at translating organizational needs into clear scopes of work and then acting as the project manager to ensure the work is completed as expected and within time and budgetary constraints.
Responsibilities and Activities:
- Oversee day to day business operations. Analyze internal operations and identify areas of improvement to ensure processes and systems are efficient and effective in advancing The Alliance Center’s goals.
- Ensure database data integrity by conducting and/or overseeing routine, proactive data cleanup.
- Ensure critical information is efficiently accessed by the appropriate staff members. Accountable for maintaining an organized, efficient shared file storage system.
- Oversees annual property and company insurance renewals as well as any necessary filing or compliance.
- Works with leadership to develop the necessary policies that set clear expectations and support efficient operations. An example includes refining the organization’s post-COVID work expectations.
- Works with leadership and outside legal counsel to address any legal needs or questions.
- Serves as primary point of contact for external Salesforce database, legal and insurance vendors.
Financial and Accounting Support and Oversight
- Oversee bookkeeping functions for the nonprofit center (limited liability company) and the nonprofit programs (501c3).
- Serve as primary point of contact for external accounting and auditing vendors for quarter closes and annual audit and tax return.
- Maintain and refine systems for day-to-day financial operations, ensuring completion of A/R, A/P, payroll, billing (grants, insurance, clients, tenants, donors, sponsors, etc.), reconciliation of general ledger accounts, and tax filings.
- Oversee customer invoicing and collections and vendor invoice payments utilizing established systems.
- Responsible for running payroll on a monthly basis.
- Gather and maintain vendor information and assists with preparation of year end 1099s.
- Reconcile team’s monthly expense reports to corporate credit card statements
- Ensure records systems are maintained according to established policies and in accordance with generally accepted accounting standards and applicable law.
- Oversee annual property tax exemption filing and compliance.
- Coordinate annual budget creation with the CFO and staff.
- Distribute financial reports to staff on an as-needed basis.
- Works on ad-hoc projects with the CFO.
Information Technology Management
- Serve as primary point of contact for external information technology vendors.
- Oversee The Alliance Center’s essential office systems. Existing platforms include Google Apps for internal and external collaboration, Box.com for file storage and access, Salesforce for constituent management as well as additional services such as MailChimp, Zoom and Eventbrite.
- Ensure critical technology information is maintained according to established policies. Includes passwords, software licensing and warranty information.
- Manage user accounts across all platforms to ensure staff members have access to the information needed while ensuring necessary privacy is maintained.
- Manage the necessary technology logistics involved with staff member onboarding and offboarding
- Work closely with external vendors to ensure computers and related equipment are efficient and reliable
- Work closely with external vendors to ensure all systems and equipment follow information security best practices.
- Train staff as needed to improve efficiency or ensure compliance with technology policies.
Human Resources Management
- Ensure required documentation is maintained for the Alliance’s records during onboarding and offboarding procedures.
- Oversee the administration for all Alliance employee benefits including health, dental, short-term disability, and life insurance, transportation benefits, and SIMPLE IRA account. Ensures important information is communicated such as open enrollment periods and similar deadlines, etc. and that all required documentation is maintained.
- Oversee tracking of all Alliance staff vacation requests.
- Facilitates the hiring process by managing job postings, external candidate communications as well as internal hiring team communications and scheduling.
- Provides administrative support for the annual performance review process
- Serves as the primary point of contact for external human resources, including employment legal counsel and employee benefit brokers.
Diversity Equity and Inclusion (DEEI) Support
- Serves as connection point between leadership and DEEI experts to develop and implement programs that promote diversity, equity and inclusion and build a culture that attracts and retains employees with broadly diverse backgrounds
- Handles all logistics for equity-based education for staff and stakeholders.
- Serves as primary point of contact for external DEEI contractors.
Full Staff Administrative Support Responsibilities
- Supports bi-monthly board meeting document preparation and notetaking.
- Provides full organizational administrative support as needed. Includes items such as office supply management, staff recognition, full staff meeting logistics and writing thank you cards.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with ability to prioritize and work independently and manage multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Strong communication skills – both oral and written.
- Bookkeeping experience including but not limited to accounts payable, accounts receivable and account reconciliations
- Tech savvy and confident learning and using new technology systems.
- Database experience, particularly with Salesforce, is highly preferred.
- Proficiency in Excel and Google Apps and familiarity with other cloud services.
- Experience w/ Quickbooks or other accounting software platforms a plus
Reports to Whom: Executive Director
Classification, Compensation, Schedule, Benefits & Position Conditions:
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt, permanent position.
The salary is between $50,000 and $65,000 per year, dependent on qualifications.
- Position will work a hybrid in-person and remote schedule determined by business needs.
- The Alliance Center is committed to sustainable workloads and will work diligently to ensure work weeks do not become excessive or require prolonged periods that significantly exceed 40 hours per week.
This position qualifies for the following benefits:
- Simple IRA -3% match of compensation (eligible January1 of the following year)
- Health Insurance (available after one month of employment)
- Dental Insurance (available after one month of employment)
- Short Term Disability Insurance (available after one month of employment)
- Life Insurance (available after one month of employment)
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance (available after one month of employment)
- Vacation Pay (available after three months of employment; 15 days through three full years; 20 days after three years of employment)
- Sick Pay (maximum of 10 days per year)
- Holiday Pay (14 days -New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day/floating religious holiday, and December 26-December 31)
- Paid Parental Leave (twelve weeks, available after twelve months consecutive employment)
How to Apply
- How to Apply: First, please complete our anonymous Candidate Survey here. Then email email@example.com with your cover letter and resume and include the Position Title in the subject line of the email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until at least 4/1/2022. No phone calls, please.
- The Alliance Center strives to build a diverse and inclusive organization. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply to join our team and help grow a more inclusive sustainability movement that truly serves all people.
- The Alliance Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or genetics.