Full-Time Open Space Technician
If you enjoy working hard in a beautiful outdoor environment with a group of like-minded people, we invite you to apply for the position of Open Space Technician at Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District (Midpen). Enjoy the outdoors while building and maintaining trails, working on construction projects, and assisting with resource management projects. Open Space Technicians also have frequent contact with the public and provide visitor information as necessary.
About Midpen: Midpen helps plants, animals and people thrive throughout the greater Santa Cruz Mountains region by preserving a greenbelt of more than 65,000 acres of public open space with 250 miles of trails in 26 extraordinary preserves, permanently protected for natural resource conservation and ecologically sensitive public enjoyment and education. Midpen is a public agency with a focused mission that guides our work, and where every employee makes an impact. If you are looking for an outstanding opportunity to contribute to the legacy of open space protection, natural resource restoration and outdoor recreation, working with an incredible team of like-minded colleagues, we invite you to apply for this position!
About the Position: Midpen has four vacancies for the position of Open Space Technician. The start date for these positions is April 2023. Open Space Technicians perform a variety of semi-skilled and skilled work in the construction, modification, maintenance, restoration, and repair of District land and facilities including trail and road maintenance and construction; resource management tasks; facilities and structure construction and maintenance; operate and maintain a variety of mechanical and power tools and equipment; and oversee volunteers, seasonal workers, and/or other groups on assigned projects. See Job Description for additional information.
Assigned work location may be at any of these offices:
Coastal Area Outpost – La Honda (Address: 5710 La Honda Road, San Gregorio, CA 94074)
Foothills Field Office – Cupertino (Address: 22500 Cristo Rey Drive, Cupertino, CA 95014)
Skyline Field Office – La Honda (Address: 21150 Skyline Blvd., La Honda, CA 94020)
South Area Office – Campbell (Address: 240 Cristich Lane, Campbell, CA 95008)
Education & Experience:
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
High School Diploma (completion of the 12th grade) or G.E.D. supplemented by college-level coursework in park maintenance, resource management, or a related field and one (1) year of experience in construction, maintenance, and/or repair of parks, open spaces, and/or related facilities.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Possession of a valid California Driver’s License.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, Basic First Aid and CPR certification within six (6) months of employment.
May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays. Must wear prescribed District uniform and adhere to strict safety procedures and work habits. Depending on the exposure, employee is required to wear head, hearing, eye, foot, face, hand, and full protection equipment. Employees work in the field and are exposed to loud noise levels, cold and hot temperatures, inclement weather conditions, road hazards, vibration, confining workspace, chemicals, mechanical and/or electrical hazards, hazardous physical substances and fumes, and poison oak.
Midpen provides an excellent benefits package, including health, life and disability insurance as well as CalPERS pension.
How to Apply
- Ready to apply? Great! We welcome your application online by clicking here.
- To avoid missing important email communication about this recruitment, we suggest adding [email protected] to your contacts or list of safe senders.
- Application deadline is Sunday, January 29, 2023. Applicants with the most relevant experience and qualifications suitable for the position will be contacted for an interview.
The following application items are required to be considered*:
- Fully completed CalOpps employment application
- Cover letter
- Supplemental question responses
Upon receipt of a conditional employment offer, candidate must provide a current DMV report (request report by submitting form INF 1125 to the DMV). Employment offers are conditional upon the results of a fingerprint background check and a pre-employment physical.
Recruitment Timeline: We recommend applicants be available for interviews on the following dates for panel interviews (we are unable to accommodate individual schedules):
- First interview (virtual): Wednesday, February 15, 2023 and Thursday, February 16, 2023
- Skills Assessment (in-person): Wednesday, March 1, 2023
- Final interview (in-person): Monday, March 6th and Tuesday, March 7th
A note to applicants who currently live outside of the San Francisco Bay Area: before committing to the application process, and if you haven’t done so already, we suggest evaluating the feasibility of relocation. We recommend researching the cost of living in the San Francisco Bay Area, the cost to relocate, and typical commute times to the listed district field offices from outlying areas.
- Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation by contacting the Human Resources department at (650) 691-1200 or via email at [email protected].
- Put your passion for Open Space to work!