Full-Time Office Manager
The Southern Environmental Law Center is seeking an Office Manager in our Chapel Hill, NC office. This person will work closely with the North Carolina Office Director and the Regional Administrator to keep our North Carolina office running smoothly and efficiently. The Office Manager is responsible for the organization and coordination of office operations, supervision and training of ten administrative staff members, budgeting, and event planning. This is an excellent opportunity to join a highly successful, nationally recognized organization that is effectively addressing some of the most pressing and challenging environmental issues throughout the South and the nation.
The ideal candidate will be highly organized, have extensive supervisory/management experience and strong interpersonal skills.
Our current in-office environment involves a hybrid work model of at least 3 in-office working days and up to 2 at-home working days, per week. Initially this person will need to be in the office 4-5 days per week. All staff are required to be vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination to work in our offices.
- Coordinates administrative staff responsibilities and supervises administrative staff performance and development.
- Coordinates the Chapel Hill administrative hiring efforts; works with the Human Resources Department on new hire orientation.
- Oversees facility operations.
- Serves as primary contact and liaison with multiple landlords, maintenance staff, business vendors, and cleaning contractors.
- Coordinates renovations and expansions.
- Coordinates purchases of furniture, office supplies, and other needs.
- Handles attorney bar dues, lobbying reports and related items.
- Ensures accuracy of expense reporting and approves invoices.
- Plans and oversees events.
- Acts as liaison to other offices and departments.
- Bachelor’s degree or the combined equivalent of education and professional experience.
- At least five years of office experience, including significant management and supervisory duties.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to multi-task while working in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency with PCs and all Microsoft Office applications, especially Word, Outlook and Excel. Ability to quickly learn new software, systems and applications.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility and the ability to work efficiently under deadlines.
- Detail-oriented and well-organized.
- Positive attitude.
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends and travel 3-4 times per year.
- Legal experience.
- Non-profit experience.
- A commitment to the environment and the mission of the organization.
The Southern Environmental Law Center is one of the nation’s most powerful defenders of the environment, rooted in the South. With a long track record, SELC takes on the toughest environmental challenges in court, in government, and in our communities to protect our region’s air, water, climate, wildlife, lands, and people. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the organization has a staff of over 200, including more than 100 attorneys, and is headquartered in Charlottesville, VA., with offices in Asheville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Chapel Hill, Charleston, Nashville, Richmond, and Washington, DC.
At our core, we are place-based, rooted in our region, and connected with the communities and clients we serve. We believe in an equitable and inclusive workplace that reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of our region and allows diverse perspectives to come to the forefront. We approach our work with the highest level of integrity, holding ourselves to high standards with an emphasis on honesty, accountability, and thoughtfulness. We value collaboration and camaraderie, realizing we are strongest when we work together and knowing that everyone has a critical role to play. We strive for impact through a strategic, bold, pragmatic, and ambitious outlook that is dedicated to achieving powerful results. We believe in these values and in the power of SELC. We hope you consider joining us. Learn more at https://www.southernenvironment.org/.
SELC offers salaries competitive with other leading environmental nonprofits nationally and provides an excellent benefits package. The starting salary range for this position is $62,500 and up to $75,000 for an exceptionally experienced and qualified candidate. For more details about our benefits package, please visit our Careers page.
How to Apply
- To apply, click this link to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume. The initial deadline for receipt of complete applications is June 5, however, applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
- SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive workplace environment. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this commitment. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflects the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.