Full-Time Natural Resource Manager – Restoration Ecologist
The Natural Resource Manager – Restoration Ecologist contributes to the day to day planning and implementation of District Natural Area Restoration projects, with an emphasis on flora and natural communities.
• Restoration Program Coordinator
• This position will require occasional coordination of Resource Management Crew and Operations Department staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Prepare and implement site restoration and management plans for natural and degraded ecosystems at the direction of the Restoration Program Coordinator or Natural Resource Management Supervisor.
2. Contribute to the development of annual work plans, schedules, summaries and reports, some requiring other agency sign off.
3. Assist with the annual budget preparation process and expense tracking.
4. Develop grant proposals and administrate grant projects to ensure compliance.
5. Secure and manage contractual services according to established policies and procedures.
6. Participate in the implementation of the District’s prescribed fire management program with the ability to function as Crew Boss.
7. Assist in completing environmental reviews on proposed land use and development within or adjacent to preserves.
8. Contribute to baseline site inventories, implementation of monitoring programs, and data management systems to evaluate the effectiveness of various restoration and management programs.
9. Coordinate with resource management crew and other resource management staff to implement tasks identified in annual management schedules.
10. Represent the District and/or Natural Resource Management section in various inter- or intra-agency teams, meetings and working groups as assigned.
11. Other duties as assigned by supervisor or director.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Must have knowledge of Midwest natural communities, native and non-native plant species identification, natural area restoration techniques, ecology and conservation biology principles.
• Must have technical skills to perform surveys, data collection and analysis, and report preparation.
• Must effectively communicate, written and oral, with a variety of professional staff, consultants and volunteers.
Natural Resource Manager – Restoration Ecologist Page 2
• Basic computer skills in Microsoft Office (word processing, spreadsheet and database) and ArcGIS mapping software.
• Must possess or attain a valid Illinois Pesticide Applicator’s license.
• Must possess and maintain a current and valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in environmental science, ecology, natural resource management or related field.
Experience: Five years related experience in natural areas restoration and management planning and implementation preferred. Three years related experience participating in prescribed fire varying in size and complexity preferred.
Certifications: Possession of, or willingness to procure course work in prescribed fire management and behavior: National Wildfire Coordinating Group S130/190 (S290 and S390 preferred) or Chicago Wilderness Midwest Ecological Prescription Fire Crew Member training.
Pay Range: Grade 10
Schedule: Full Time