Full-Time Mid-Atlantic Policy Director
The Mid-Atlantic Policy Director works to advance TU’s mission to conserve, protect, and restore trout and salmon fisheries and their watersheds by leading campaigns that engage TU members and other stakeholders as advocates for conservation. These campaigns cover multiple watersheds with an emphasis on the Delaware River Basin.
The Mid-Atlantic Policy Director is teamed with a Mid-Atlantic Organizer, and also works closely with TU’s Government Affairs staff in DC on federal campaigns that impact the region. In addition to supervising the Mid-Atlantic Organizer, the Mid-Atlantic Policy Director supervises TU’s Great Lakes Organizer. The position is located in/near the Delaware River watershed.
DEPARTMENT: Eastern Conservation
REPORTS TO: Vice President for Eastern Conservation
POSITION TYPE/HOURS: Full time/40 hours
DATE: October 2019
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Organize and lead advocacy campaigns that result in the protection of important coldwater fisheries
- Build a coalition of hunters and anglers and other advocates who can be called upon to engage in conservation efforts
- Conduct outreach to Trout Unlimited chapters, sportsmen’s organizations, and other stakeholders about the potential effects of energy development and transmission and other pertinent conservation issues
- Manage a small staff engaging advocates in the protection of trout habitat
- Fundraise to support ongoing conservation programs and manage budgets totaling roughly $375K.
- This is a supervisory position with 2 direct reports.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in a field related to conservation a plus
- Experience leading grassroots advocacy campaigns
- Experience writing grant proposals and managing grants and budgets
- Supervisory experience
- Passion for fishing and coldwater conservation
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Experience working with traditional and social media and public outreach
- Willingness to travel extensively within the region
- Ability to network and build relationships with multiple constituencies
This is not an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities.
TU is an Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action Employer pursuant to Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act & Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistant Act.
TU hires staff without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status or disability.