Full-Time Mexico City Researcher
The ICCT is pleased to announce the opening of an immediate opportunity for a highly committed and self-motivated researcher to serve as a full-time consultant to support clean fuels and vehicles policy in Mexico. This position will support ongoing ICCT work in Mexico on soot-free and zero emission urban bus fleets, local policies to tackle urban air pollution from the transportation sector, national fuel quality and vehicle emission standards, and other strategies to improve the environmental and energy performance of the transportation fleet in Mexico. The position will also engage in other projects throughout Latin America on an as needed basis, potentially including travel to other countries within Latin America.
The ideal candidate will bring knowledge of the transportation sector and environmental or energy topics, modeling and/or analytical skills, project management experience, written and/or spoken fluency in English and Spanish, strong written and verbal communication, international experience, and demonstrated interest in solving our most pressing global health and environmental challenges. This opportunity is based in Mexico City and is best suited to someone who is self-motivated, resourceful, creative, curious, and willing to work hard.
- Analyze costs and benefits of vehicle emission reduction technologies, strategies and policies;
- Develop quantitative and qualitative analyses of technology and operational strategies to reduce vehicle emissions, helping to design and assess local policies to accelerate fleet turnover and reduce transportation emissions
- Participate in working group meetings with other NGOs, industry and agency staff to develop and revise transportation policies
- Collect and analyze vehicle, fuel, and transportation activity data from Mexico and Latin America
- Write clear, strong technical reports, policy briefings, and articles to summarize ICCT’s research for key stakeholders
- Engage and collaborate effectively with ICCT staff and key partners in Mexico to gather information and communicate relevant findings from ICCT’s research to support policy development
- Coordinate workshops, invite-only meetings, and other outreach events; present research and conclusions in a range of venues; and educate policymakers and journalists in Mexico and Latin America
- Master’s degree in engineering, environmental sciences, or related disciplines preferred, or 3 to 5 years comparable work experience
- Strong technical understanding of air quality, climate change, and transportation emissions, including vehicle and fuel regulations, market-based initiatives, and fiscal instruments
- Excellent research, analytical, and quantitative skills, along with strong written and verbal communication skills, and strong emotional intelligence
- Strong proficiency with data manipulation and analysis, plus good modeling skills on vehicle activity and emissions
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision; highly organized, self-directed, and strategic in problem solving and identifying policy needs
- Some travel required, within Mexico and internationally
- English and Spanish fluency required; Portuguese knowledge a plus
This position is based in Mexico City. There is currently no ICCT office in Mexico City. The person hired will work with their supervisor in the San Francisco office to define the most effective working strategy, considering options to work from home and/or share office space with non-government or government partners. Approximately two to four weeks of travel a year to US offices would be required, along with some travel to other countries in Latin America and other cities in Mexico.
The ICCT is an independent, global, non-profit research organization that supports effective policymaking on climate change and public health by providing timely, accurate, data-driven research and advice to regulators, NGOs, and other stakeholders. The ICCT has offices in Washington DC, San Francisco, Berlin, and Beijing. The ICCT offers a mission-driven, egalitarian, culturally diverse workplace where intelligence, flexibility, transparency, and good humor are highly valued. This is a position for a full-time consultant located in Mexico City, Mexico. Learn more about us at www.theicct.org.
How to ApplyPlease send your resume, a cover letter indicating your interest and salary expectations, a writing sample, and the names and contact information for three professional references (letters not necessary) to email@example.com (subject: “Mexico Researcher”). Submissions that are missing a cover letter or writing sample will be given less consideration. The position is open immediately and will remain open until filled. No calls and no recruiters, please. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h05/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405