Full-Time Membership Specialist
For more than 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned to preserve forests, protect the climate and uphold human rights by challenging corporate power and systemic injustice through research, education, partnerships, non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, strategic campaigns and communications. We are committed to working with Indigenous and frontline communities directly impacted by profit-driven systems of injustice. In partnership with allies from around the world, RAN challenges corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt policies that reduce their contributions to climate change. RAN is committed to doing what is necessary, not only what is considered politically feasible.
RAN is seeking a creative, highly collaborative individual to take on the Membership Specialist role. Under the supervision of the Senior Manager, Individual Giving and Events, the ideal candidate will be excited to support RAN’s individual giving efforts, and interface with donors that want to learn more about RAN’s work. This position will be an integral member of the fundraising team, supporting the department through direct mail and integrated online fundraising, donor services, research, and coordinating donor engagement opportunities for this mission-driven organization.
- Membership Planning – In collaboration with the Development, Organizing and Digital teams, develop a membership plan that will provide for strong donor stewardship and retention, and help to build support for RAN through volunteerism, offline advocacy, and engagement. Responsible for implementation and management of the plan, which will include efforts to recruit and manage volunteers and activists. Collaborate with Digital and Development staff to conceptualize and implement successful campaigns and promotions that include renewals to retain and recruit donors (from existing “supporter base”), upgrade gifts, and promote gift memberships.
- Individual Giving Fundraising – Assist in the development of the annual fund plan, its calendar, appeal themes, and content development. Assist in projecting budgets for the annual fund. Collaborate with the Development Director and Sr. Manager, Individuals and Events to develop new annual gift strategies and identify and implement strategies to steward members and annual donors to mid-level gifts.
- Donor Services – Monitor and respond to donor requests and membership updates (communication preferences, donor info updates, etc) and field high level programmatic questions. Responsible for training and overseeing the support of staff or volunteers on donor services, as needed. Develop and maintain standards for responding to inquiries (telephone, email, mail, etc.), and cross-team coordination of communications with our supporter base.
- Donor Inquiry Analytics – Track membership communications and stewardship in donor CRM. Work with the Data team to identify and evaluate unusual trends or possible problems occurring in the communications with or solicitation of membership. Assesses positive and negative trends from RAN donors and supporters and reports out on those findings monthly.
- Member/Volunteer Engagement – In collaboration with the Organizing and Development teams, identify, develop, and provide resources and tools needed to support offline and/or physical peer-to-peer fundraising events and develop a roadmap for DIY supporter peer-to-peer events. Support volunteer or staff led public engagement opportunities, such as tabling invitations.
- Work with target analytics software to identify new donor prospects, leverage existing connections, and support outreach; update organizational database with new donor information
- Work with the individual giving team to create and implement creative ways to enhance donor engagement.
- Assist writing for outbound donor communications as needed for development initiatives.
- Coordinate internal outreach efforts for individuals as needed (thank-a-thon, event invitations, etc.).
- Other tasks and special projects to support individual giving efforts as needed.
- Strong experience working in non-profit development focused on membership relations and an interest in managing successful fundraising campaigns.
- Strong project and time management skills; detail oriented and able to manage multiple projects while adapting to shifting priorities.
- Impeccable and effective writing, editing, and verbal communication skills. Knowledge of best practices in writing for fundraising purposes.
- Familiarity with Raiser’s Edge or similar CRM preferred.
- Team player with commitment to collaborating with peers, and supporting departmental and organizational well-being and values.
- An entrepreneurial nature that combines curiosity and creativity with a learning attitude, ability to communicate effectively with a variety of personalities.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suites (Word, Excel) and Google applications.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Interest in RAN’s mission, environmental issues, human rights and racial justice.
Equity and Racial Justice:
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities while also staying committed to providing accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
The target salary range is $58,500 – $61,500 for a San Francisco based position (salary ranges for other cities can be found below). RAN salaries are adjusted by geographic cost of labor, so the final salary would be determined on location, in addition to a candidate’s overall experience and qualifications. (Ex: hiring an employee in Green Bay, WI would result in a lower target salary range due to the geographic cost of labor).
Salary ranges for this position based in different cities:
Los Angeles, CA: $55,100 – $58,050
Washington, DC: $53,700 – $56,500
Seattle, WA: $52,400 – $54,500
Chicago, IL: $53,000 – $55,700
Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family (plus an employer-funded HSA), VSP & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vesting employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, staff becomes eligible for a 3-month fully paid sabbatical.
How to Apply
- Please apply online via this link
- Supervisor: Senior Manager, Individual Giving & Events
- Status: 5 day/wk, FT, with benefits
- Location: This position is open to the US