Full-Time Membership and Development Manager
Please note that all PSR National staff are generally working remotely, but our DC-based staff are expected to be available to work at times on-site at our national office when it is deemed necessary, provided that public health officials have deemed it safe to do so. For this position, applicants must be willing and able to conduct occasional work at our national office (again, only if public health officials have deemed it safe to do so).
PSR requires that any employee who is required to conduct in-person activities for their job must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Accommodations may be sought and approved in accordance with applicable laws by contacting human resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Physicians for Social Responsibility
Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR) is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization working to create a more healthy, just, and peaceful world. Throughout its history, PSR has provided a strong health-focused voice against the development and use of nuclear weapons. Our other major programmatic focus is climate change – another catastrophic disaster that threatens human health and survival. PSR is a co-founder and U.S. affiliate of the International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War (IPPNW), and as the U.S. affiliate of this global network, PSR shared in the 1985 Nobel Peace Prize. PSR is also a partner organization in the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), which won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2017. PSR has a national office in Washington, D.C. with chapters across the United States.
The Membership and Development Manager leads PSR’s fundraising activities, including member recruitment, engagement, and retention. They help plan fundraising events, including our annual fundraising gala, and create and implement outreach strategies to engage with existing members and to expand PSR’s membership base. The Membership and Development Manager also oversees PSR’s direct mail fundraising campaigns.
Areas of Responsibility
- Works with the Executive Director, program staff and board members on major fundraising initiatives and to identify and cultivate new fundraising opportunities and strategies (including affinity groups, membership, and major gifts).
- Coordinates the creation and mailing of PSR collateral and campaign materials.
- Oversees donor relations and correspondence, including gift acceptance and acknowledgments.
- Assists the Executive Director and other team members in identifying potential foundation and corporate funders.
- Oversees the production of all mailings including appeals, renewals, and acknowledgements.
- Gathers metrics on campaign growth and response rates.
- Coordinates direct mail with outsourced designers and printer.
- Works with Executive Director and other team members to set up mailing plan, including timelines and deliverables.
- Supports and implements a comprehensive organization-wide member recruitment and acquisition strategy.
- Responds to member inquiries, directing them to the appropriate resource(s) for resolution.
- Ensures excellent and timely customer service to membership inquiries.
- Ensures that all donation acknowledgement letters and annual tax receipts are sent out in a timely fashion.
- Generates a pipeline of members and prospects with interests in legacy planning.
- Ensures that PSR’s CRM database is up-to-date and well-maintained.
- Serves as lead for data entry, reporting, queries, and data integrity.
- Assists PSR chapters with utilizing PSR national’s CRM database.
- Prepares reports analyzing direct mail campaign costs, revenue, and response rates, and other reports as needed.
- Retrieves, opens, processes, and distributes incoming mail.
- Completes administrative deposits of in-house donations, which includes preparing deposit slips and making in-person deposits at the bank at least twice weekly, completing a running donation log, and completing data entry in PSR’s CRM database.
Skills and Experience
- At least five years of related work experience.
- Highly proficient with CRM database systems, preferably with EveryAction.
- Enthusiastic and dynamic team member with strong interpersonal and team skills who can work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Strong account management and relationship building or other relevant experience.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- A proven track record of effective project management and completion.
- Enthusiasm for PSR’s mission.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines while maintaining meticulous attention to detail – must be able to manage a wide range of assigned projects from concept to completion on time and with minimal supervision.
- Pro-active, creative problem-solving ability.
- Confidence making contact and cultivating relationships with both current and prospective members.
- This is a full-time position with occasional evening and weekend hours required.
- Position based at PSR offices in Washington, DC.
- Required to work on-site in the PSR national office at least one day per week, with remaining engagement performed remotely.
- The ideal candidate must be able to complete all physical requirements of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Minimal travel.
- Reports to the Executive Director.
- Annual Salary Range: $75,000 – $95,000.
- Health, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance.
- 403b tax-advantaged retirement savings plan.
- Paid time off plus holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
- Internet and telephone subsidy provided for hybrid work.
- Resources available for professional development.
- PSR promotes and supports a healthy work/life balance for its employees, including flexible work schedules and a hybrid work model (combination of on-site work in our Washington, DC-based office and remote work).
PSR is deeply committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice, and believes social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose.
PSR is committed to employment practices that ensure employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, religion, disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws, as well as any other factor that is not relevant to job performance.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
PSR is committed to the inclusion of all qualified individuals in the hiring process, and encourages candidates from all backgrounds to apply, including but not limited to those with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation(s) to participate in the application or interview process, please contact email@example.com.
Learn more about PSR’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ): https://www.psr.org/about/diversity-equity-inclusion-and-justice/
How to ApplyPlease submit:
- A cover letter directly describing your qualifications relevant to the skills and experience outlined above;
- Salary expectations;
- A minimum of three references (name, title, organization, phone, and email). Please note that references will not be contacted without prior approval from the applicant.