Full-Time Media Relations Manager
Background on SFP: The mission of Sustainable Fisheries Partnership (SFP) is to work toward rebuilding depleted fish stocks, reducing the environmental impacts of fishing and fish farming, and ensuring sustained economic opportunities for fishing communities worldwide. SFP improves access to information that can guide responsible seafood sourcing, and enhances the ability of seafood companies and partners to work with governments to improve policies and management practices in support of sustainable fisheries and aquaculture sectors. Visit www.sustainablefish.org to learn more.
Reporting to the Marketing and Communications Director, the Media Relations Manager has an integral and visible role in creating, developing, and implementing new and expanded communications programs for SFP. This position requires experience working with a broad range of communications tools, channels, and activities. This is a remote-work position; candidates based in the US or in the UK are preferred.
Key Responsibilities and Activities:
- Responsible for increasing visibility and awareness of the organization and its programs through online and social media, press and media, and other public relations efforts. Manage updates and changes to SFP’s website.
- Manage and produce content for SFP’s social media communications, including Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
- Coordinate SFP’s media relations efforts and serve as point of contact for press and media.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with key journalists and reporters.
- Monitor and document media mentions of SFP.
- Find and execute opportunities to promote SFP and its work through traditional and online media sources such as letters to the editor, op-eds, and blog posts.
- Develop marketing materials and collateral in collaboration with program teams.
- Assist in the development, design, and production of reports and other major SFP publications.
- Manage SFP’s photo library and assist in finding images for SFP communications and marketing products.
- Assist in the development of marketing and communications strategies and products for target audiences, including reports, brochures, and other materials.
- Provide writing and editing support as needed, including for opinion pieces, press materials, and other documents.
Essential Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-5 years of experience with media and press. Agency, NGO, or political experience preferred.
- Ability to conceptualize and develop communications/media strategies and plans.
- Demonstrated success in pitching and developing story placements.
- Knowledge and use of social media tools, networks, and online communities.
- Excellent communication skills in English (speaking, reading and writing), adaptable to a variety of audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proven ability to manage projects.
- Interest in ocean conservation and SFP’s programs and campaigns.
- Personal qualities of honesty and integrity, and a commitment to conservation.
- Flexibility to effectively balance independent initiative with team collaboration.
- Ability to work within a framework of responsibilities, objectives, and deadlines without (or with limited) supervision.
- Based in the US or UK preferred (SFP does not relocate staff).
- Ability to work comfortably and effectively in a mostly or fully online environment: work-from-home arrangements, strong practical knowledge of productivity software and/or platforms (i.e., Word, Excel, email, Google Workspace, and other common business communication tools), ability to learn new technology with ease, etc.
- Cultural awareness to work and communicate effectively with diverse colleagues.
- Scheduling flexibility to facilitate interactions with globally dispersed colleagues.
- Ability to travel about 2 weeks per year, including international destinations (at this time, all SFP business travel is on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic).
Additional/Desirable Qualifications and Skills:
- Knowledge of the seafood industry, marine conservation, and/or experience working in the NGO community.
- Experience with design and production of products and materials.
- Some verbal and written communication skills in Spanish.
Level of Effort: This is a full-time employee position. Level of Effort is expected to be 40 hours per week. The anticipated start date is August 2021.
Compensation: Competitive; salary based on experience and qualifications.
Application: The deadline is 25 June 2021. All inquiries will be kept in the strictest confidence. Qualified candidates should submit the following directly to email@example.com with the subject line “Media Relations Manager”:
- Letter of interest, including salary requirements.
How to ApplyThe deadline is 25 June 2021. All inquiries will be kept in the strictest confidence. Qualified candidates should submit the following directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Media Relations Manager”:
- Letter of interest, including salary requirements.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405