Internship MBA Venture Capital Fellow
Job Title: MBA Venture Capital Fellow
Location: Virtual / Schedule is on Pacific Standard Time
Duration: Winter 2022 / Spring 2022
Madre Ventures is a new firm that sits at the nexus of culture and venture capital. We provide investment capital and strategic support to early to mid-stage enterprises that are solving significant social, environmental and technological challenges – profitably. The group’s central thesis is, “What would it look like to help one billion people?” Madre Ventures seeks to support that thesis through the verticals of clean energy, mindful technology and social justice.
To date, Madre Ventures has invested in ventures at the Seed Round and Series A stage, mostly in an angel investor capacity. Based on the success of the existing portfolio, Madre Ventures commenced a formal fundraise and has raised over half of its $80M worth of funding. Beyond the existing pipeline, stakeholders in Madre have had $1B+ assets under management within the last decade, and have been at the center of deals which have built businesses, launched products, and driven profit by way of business development, corporate strategy and M&A. Additionally, they have been at the forefront of culture by way of Academy Award winning films, television shows, consumer products, art exhibitions and significant social movements. Given the collective background in finance & cultural curation, Madre Ventures is uniquely placed to position, strategize and introduce portfolio companies to exit opportunities, other investors and the public at large.
Beyond their double-bottom-line objective of impact & profit, Madre Ventures seeks to create paradigm shifts within business culture and experiment with new ways of getting things done.
An exciting and varied position, the Fellow would be supporting the partners of this investment group which sits uniquely at the nexus of culture and venture capital. Motivated and enthusiastic self-starter who works on own initiative with moderate supervision. Confident and positive, high-energy, cultured, capable of easily interacting with senior management. Flexible and willing to get involved in many different aspects of the business as required.
Perform market research to help identify new investment trends and opportunities
• Deal screening: Meet with prospects, evaluate opportunities
• Documentation: summarize call notes, enter deals into CRM
• Network with peers at venture capital firms
Perform Due Diligence
• Gather information from the target company and industry experts
• Research and talk to existing references and customers of the target company
• Research potential competitors to the target company
• Research and talk with technical/business consultants to evaluate the target company’s technology including IPs
• Conduct background checks on the current management of the target company
• Perform valuation analysis via modeling
• Help preparing internal investment memos
Requirements: Required Skills and Experience
• MBA from a top business school
• 1-2 years of investment experience (VC/PE, investment banking, private equity)
• Outstanding analytical skills, detail-oriented, proactive and self-motivated
• Strong knowledge of Excel including advanced function
• Experience with cash flow modeling and investment valuation techniques
• Ability to produce well designed professional looking Power Point presentations
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
Benefits: Stipend + Performance Bonus