Full-Time Marketing Communications Manager
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences is searching for a talented marketing communications manager who can synthesize complex information to achieve institutional goals through audience-centric communications. In this role, you would generate compelling, strategic content that illuminates the impact of Bigelow Laboratory’s work with key public audiences and supports initiative-specific goals with discrete audiences. Please note that we are also currently hiring a science communications manager, which may also be of interest but has different required skills and experience.
Your work would play a critical role at Bigelow Laboratory – a nonprofit research institute that uses innovative, cutting-edge approaches to study the foundation of global ocean health and unlock its potential to improve the future for all life on our planet. Most of the organisms we study are microscopic in size, but their influence and potential are unmatched. Bigelow Laboratory is well known around the world for its scientific excellence, and you’d work alongside the chief communications officer to convey that excellence through the content and quality of the laboratory’s communications.
Ability to apply outstanding writing, strategic thinking, and marketing skills to complex, scientific topics would be key to your success – in addition to your creativity, attention to detail, and strong work ethic. This position will challenge you, inspire you, and empower you to make a difference. If you are excited by that prospect and have the proven ability to craft effective marketing communications about complex and technical topics, we’d love to hear from you.
This is a hybrid position, and candidates will ideally be located (or be willing to relocate) within driving distance of Bigelow Laboratory’s beautiful, state-of-the-art campus in East Boothbay, Maine. However, we would be willing to consider the possibility of a fully remote position if required by an exceptional candidate unable to relocate.
This is a full-time, permanent role that offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience and a full benefits package. Local travel may occasionally be required. Hours are typically regular and constitute a 37.5-hour workweek, but some additional, evening, and weekend work may be required due to events, deadlines, or other timely reasons. The salary band for this position is $72,000 – $82,000.
Key responsibilities include:
- Analyze audiences and synthesize complex information to achieve institutional goals through audience-centric communications
- Craft communications for Bigelow Laboratory as a whole, as well as for specific science, education, and philanthropy initiatives that target discrete audiences
- Write content and support the production of print and digital marketing materials – including documents, publications, presentations, videos, and promotional items
- Consistently apply Bigelow Laboratory’s brand voice and visuals to diverse communications and help ensure that others do the same
- Edit and proofread to ensure the highest quality and accuracy standards are met by your work and others’ communications products
- Develop, write, and maintain website content, using best practices for search engine optimization
- Manage social media presence through content creation, audience engagement, and strategic analysis
- Execute basic graphic design tasks that meet a high professional standard, including marketing emails and printed materials
- Write and distribute press releases, pitch journalists, and help strengthen and grow media relationships
- Maximize messaging and communications opportunities at events, such as the annual open house
- Work alongside chief communications officer on project management and on oversight of work with outside contractors, including graphic designers, marketing agencies, illustrators, and videographers
To be qualified for this opportunity, you must have:
- Eight years of marketing communications experience – at least five of which were at science, engineering, technology, medicine, or other technical organizations
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing communications, public relations, or other relevant field
- Knowledge of marine microbiology, molecular techniques, and/or other relevant ocean research is highly preferred
- Communications experience with nonprofit or other mission-driven organization is highly preferred
- Passion for science and its ability to help us understand, sustainably use, and care for the ocean
If your experience aligns with the responsibilities and requirements outlined above, we strongly encourage you to apply online for this exciting opportunity on our team. To do so, please upload your cover letter, resume, and the five marketing communications samples that best illustrate your fit for this role. For each work sample, please briefly explain your specific contributions and the roles of any others involved. The application deadline is Sunday, January 15, 2023. Interviews are expected to begin shortly afterward.
Individuals seeking more information about this position or needing to request an accommodation, please contact email@example.com or (207) 315-2567, ext. 107.
Working at Bigelow Laboratory
Bigelow Laboratory is an inclusive community of scientists from around the world that welcomes and supports diverse opinions and cultures. Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences strives to maintain an environment that allows our employees to flourish through respectful, inclusive, and equitable treatment of others. We believe there is power in embracing the full diversity of humanity to advance science and are committed to supporting each other as individuals worthy of respect. Bigelow Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences requires that all employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine regimen. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees will be required to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination.