Full-Time Managing Director, Access & Equity
This is an exciting moment for a dynamic and transformative leader to expand and more firmly integrate the Access & Equity Team’s work in Vote Solar’s strategic engagement and in clean energy advocacy more broadly. Reporting to the Executive Director and as a member of the senior leadership team, they will spearhead and set Vote Solar’s external-facing access and equity strategy. They will work collaboratively with the senior leadership team to ensure that Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice (DEIJ) measures are embedded across the organization’s policy and regulatory recommendations in addition to aligning with the internal DEIJ work being led by the Talent & Culture Team. They will also be critical to establishing our voice and thought leadership nationally on the importance of DEIJ to a sustainable energy future.
It is imperative that Vote Solar’s commitment to access and equity is shared and practiced by all team members and reflected in how policy is designed, and programs are executed. To accomplish this, the Managing Director will coordinate across internal departments to identify clean energy policies and partnerships that advance a 100% clean energy future accessible for all. They will collaborate particularly closely with the National Program Team to develop policy recommendations and regulatory interventions that integrate an access and equity lens in Vote Solar’s work around the country. Creating systems and processes that make it easy for the National Program Team to fully leverage the expertise of the Access &Equity Team is an essential part of this role.
STRATEGIC LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
- Develop a strategic plan for Access & Equity Team to ensure alignment around key priorities, direction, and strategic goals; communicate clearly and often with internal and external stakeholders regarding the Access & Equity Team’s overall strategic direction
- Design and implement strong systems and processes to effectively leverage and support the collective talent of the Access & Equity Team to embed access and equity into Vote Solar’s overall policy and regulatory recommendations for the energy and solar sectors
- Champion teamwork and alignment across the organization by providing effective communication, coaching, performance management, and professional development; design clear systems regarding accountability, decision-making, operations, and processes at all levels
- Lead a team of policy experts to articulate Vote Solar’s access and equity policy positions and regulatory recommendations
- Identify issue areas that can advance the field of equitable solar and act as an ambassador for the organization at key events, media opportunities, speaking engagements, op-eds, and serving on advisory panels
- Build and nurture effective partnerships with state and national organizations on behalf of Vote Solar
POLICY AND PARTNERSHIP SUPPORT
- Consult and guide the National Program Team in the development and implementation of policy positions on complex solar and energy justice related issues; direct and guide the Access & Equity Team as they work with program staff to identify appropriate resources and potential partnerships to inform and advance Vote Solar’s position
- Lead the organization’s commitment and application of our Just Partnership Principles
- Guide and set priorities for the Access & Equity Team including in building strategic partnerships with communities of color, frontline communities, and others most impacted by the climate crisis and current energy system
CROSS DEPARTMENT COLLABORATION & LEARNING
- Manage a process of internal communication, coordination, documentation, and evaluation with the National Program Team to ensure cohesive collaboration and strategic engagement that advances equitable and just clean energy policies
- Facilitate knowledge sharing on the intersection of DEIJ and energy to establish a consistent understanding of research, insights, and best practices; assist with developing plans for cross-departmental learning on topics such as equitable clean energy policy, environmental and energy justice, etc.
- Partner with Communications Team to inform strategic communications plans; the Philanthropy Team to strengthen funder relationships, attend funder meetings, and identify new ways to support grassroots organizations; and the Director of Talent & Culture to ensure alignment with internal equity work
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND JUSTICE GROWTH AND LEARNING
- Continue personal learning and contributions to organizational work on diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Be committed to embedding equity in all organizational internal practices and culture
- Bring openness and engagement to personal, professional, and organization-wide learning on race, class, gender, justice, and equity