Full-Time Managing Attorney (2 positions available – Oakland, CA; Denver, CO; or Washington, DC)
Job Title: Managing Attorney
Department: Environmental Law Program [ELP]
Location: Oakland, CA, Denver, CO, or Washington, DC
Reports To: Deputy Director, Environmental Law Program
Context: The Sierra Club Environmental Law Program seeks a Managing Attorney to join its national legal team as a manager and litigator. The Managing Attorney oversees a team of lawyers and paralegals litigating key Sierra Club environmental and energy cases and implementing legal strategies that support Sierra Club’s national campaigns. The Managing Attorney incorporates Sierra Club’s commitment to equity and social justice in all aspects of work. The Managing Attorney also provides guidance and general supervision as a member of the Law Program management team; engages in fundraising and media work; works with technical experts; and collaborates with Sierra Club volunteers, national and chapter staff, coalition partners, and outside attorneys throughout the nation.
- Manages a team of legal professionals who prosecute key Sierra Club lawsuits and implement legal strategies to support Sierra Club’s campaigns and other priority objectives; manages coalition litigation and prosecutes select matters as lead counsel.
- Evaluates proposed litigation to advise national volunteer and staff leadership on Sierra Club participation in legal actions; oversees ongoing litigation and settlements; helps resolve problems that arise involving individual lawsuits.
- Conducts strategic planning and budgeting with the Environmental Law Program management team.
- Fundraises for the Environmental Law Program and manages donor relations.
- Helps develop training, informational, educational, and fundraising materials; conducts training of attorneys, paralegals and legal assistants.
- Monitors workload and work product of staff to ensure job performance level according to each individual’s skill, experience and responsibility.
- Performs supervisory duties by providing guidance to staff, assigning work and establishing priorities; providing on-the-job training; providing ongoing performance feedback; conducting formal performance planning and evaluation; making recommendations in hiring, termination and salary decisions.
- Provides strategic vision and guidance to teams on how to implement litigation consistent with the Jemez Principles and Sierra Club’s commitment to equity.
- J.D. degree and license to practice law, with fifteen or more years experience.
- Excellent writing and analytic skills.
- Strong interpersonal and consensus-building skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with clients and colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion, and justice.
- Knowledge of environmental and energy law.
- Passion for Sierra Club’s mission to enlist humanity to protect and restore the quality of the natural and human environment.
- Prior supervisory experience, with strong planning and management skills.
- Ability to travel as needed for case work, court appearances and Sierra Club meetings.
In 2015, Sierra Club formalized its vision for an internal transformation to become a more equitable and inclusive organization. Sierra Club and its Environmental Law Program recognize that the environmental movement and the field of law have historically been white, wealthy, and male-dominated, and given that history, we are committed to creating a workplace where people from all social identities and backgrounds feel welcomed and can thrive. We strive to become an organization that attracts, retains, and celebrates people from all avenues of life who share our values. Sierra Club has adopted the Jemez Principles, a set of guidelines designed to help people from different cultures, communities, politics, and organizations work together in solidarity. The Environmental Law Program strives to conduct litigation in accordance with the Jemez Principles and in furtherance of Sierra Club’s vision of becoming a more equitable and inclusive organization. For more information about our commitment to equity, inclusion, and justice, please visit: sierraclub.org/equity.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 2 exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis; positions will remain open until filled.
**Please include a cover letter, resume, references, and writing sample. In addition, please provide a separate statement of 250 words or less addressing steps you’ve taken or experiences you’ve had that have deepened your understanding of social or environmental justice issues, and your past work or other experience that demonstrates your commitment to equity, inclusion, and justice.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
If you are applying for more than one position with us, please attach your job-specific cover letters in the ‘Attachments’ section.
The salary for the Managing Attorney position is based on years of experience and location and ranges from $157,000 to $200,000.
How to ApplyTo apply, please visit https://chm.tbe.taleo.net/chm01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=SIERRACLUB&cws=39&rid=1581.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h05/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405