Full-Time Manager, Program Operations
ABOUT OCEAN CONSERVANCY
Ocean Conservancy educates and empowers citizens to take action on behalf of the ocean. From the Arctic to the Gulf of Mexico to the halls of Congress, Ocean Conservancy brings people together to find solutions for our water planet. Informed by science, our work guides policy and engages people in protecting the ocean and its wildlife for future generations.
The Manager, Program Operations is part of a team supporting the systems that enable development and implementation of Ocean Conservancy’s core conservation program areas.
This position supports the Chief of Strategy and Senior Director of the Executive Office in orchestrating some of the organization’s major planning processes, including annual work planning and multi-year strategy development. The Manager will support the development of systems to track our conservation impact over time and provide additional program support functions including managing and executing Program Directors calls and retreats, internal learning opportunities and trainings, weekly program reporting, and monthly board reporting.
The manager will also serve as the program liaison to organizational efforts including Ocean Conservancy’s internal communications which are critical to the intentional development and maintenance institutional culture. They will participate as the program liaison in developing All-Staff meetings and retreats and in developing effective internal operations in partnership with the Development and Finance departments.
- Orchestrates the institutional work planning process in partnership with government relations, policy, communications, scientific and fundraising staff to develop individual program strategies, annual work plans, and budgets to underpin the organizational budget and work plan.
- Facilitates strategic planning and annual planning sessions for program and departments.
- Provides strategic capacity to individual programs as assigned to support planning processes for grant proposal development and/or to refine and adjust programmatic approaches.
- Provides operational support and coordination to Program Directors team.
- Identifies, develops and implements tools, processes, and trainings to improve the effectiveness of Ocean Conservancy’s program operations.
- In partnership with program teams, designs internal learning opportunities to highlight best practices and new approaches in the environmental, business and social sectors.
- Manages aspects of internal communications and coordination, including current intranet (aka ‘Fintranet’), all staff gatherings, and weekly/monthly reporting by programs, etc.
- Supports the Senior Director, Executive Office on the management of special projects for Ocean Conservancy.
- Three to five years of relevant experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to communicate complex scientific or technical concepts to policy and lay audiences.
- Experience planning and facilitating meetings.
- Demonstrated track record of working effectively with individuals (including remote staff) across different levels within an organization.
- Detail-oriented, well-organized, adaptable, and possess strong project management skills.
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint required; comfort with meeting technologies and software tools that encourage information sharing and collaboration across remote teams strongly preferred.
- Proven ability to work independently and lead peers in a team, handle multiple tasks and thrive in a fast-paced, demanding work environment.
- Highly collaborative, with excellent interpersonal skills and an appreciation for a multi-disciplinary team approach.
- Commitment to conservation, background in environmental work, knowledge of fundraising, and familiarity with ocean issues is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three years of work experience that includes experience in aspects of project management and program planning.
How to Apply
- If you think you have what it takes to join Ocean Conservancy’s team, please apply here.
- Ocean Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status. Ocean Conservancy is continually seeking to diversify its staff, particularly to broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy.
- OCEAN CONSERVANCY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.