Full-Time Manager or Director, Environmental Justice
The Institute for Policy Integrity – www.policyintegrity.org – is seeking applicants for a manager-level or director-level position (title will reflect prior experience) to help lead our work on environmental justice, climate justice, and energy justice. The position will focus largely on analysis of the distributional impacts of environmental and energy policies and related advocacy efforts.
About Policy Integrity:
Policy Integrity is a non‐partisan think tank housed at New York University School of Law and dedicated to improving the quality of government decisionmaking. The institute produces original scholarly research in the fields of economics, law, and regulatory policy, and advocates for reform before courts, legislatures, and executive agencies. Richard Revesz, dean emeritus of NYU Law School, is Policy Integrity’s director. Policy Integrity’s interdisciplinary mission focuses on the rational use of economic analysis in government decisionmaking and how tools like cost‐benefit analysis and distributional analysis can improve policy design. Policy Integrity’s docket covers a range of issue areas, with a particular emphasis on federal environmental protection and federal‐ and state‐level energy policies.
Policy Integrity’s successful advocacy outcomes include participating in litigation that halted Trump-era deregulatory measures; guiding state utility regulators on the need to value environmental externalities like avoided local pollution in energy policy decisions; prompting the Department of the Interior to alter the analyses underlying offshore oil leasing; and helping convince New York City to ban several categories of dirty heating oil.
The individual in this role work with Policy Integrity’s economists, lawyers, and policy analysts to:
- help shape and implement our organizational strategy on environmental justice and distributional analysis;
- draft regulatory comments, petitions for rulemakings, and other formal submissions to federal and state agencies including the Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of Interior, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the White House Council on Environmental Quality, and state Public Utility Commissions;
- establish partnerships with other advocacy organizations and support their engagement in relevant policy proceedings;
- publish academic articles and op‐eds; and
- supervise lawyers, economists, and students in NYU Law School’s Regulatory Policy Clinic on a variety of projects.
Benefits and Terms of Employment:
The salary is competitive, and the benefits are generous. Staff members also have access to academic enrichment opportunities at NYU, including some faculty workshops, colloquia, potential teaching opportunities, and other scholarly forums.
The start date is flexible, but ideally the candidate would start in early 2022.
- Deep understanding of environmental justice issues and regulatory policy dynamics.
- 3+ years of relevant experience in law, economics, policy advocacy, or a related field (5+ years for director candidates).
- JD or Ph.D. preferred.
Job title will be determined based on prior experience. Manager-level titles could include Senior Attorney, Senior Economist, etc.
Policy Integrity is committed to a culture in which all people are welcomed, respected, supported, and valued to fully participate. We welcome and encourage applications from diverse applicants, and we consider multiple aspects of diversity. New York University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to ApplyTo Apply: Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Manager/Director, Environmental Justice” in the subject line:
- a cover letter detailing your interest in the position/organization and your relevant experience,
- a resume,
- one or two writing samples (with a strong preference for independently authored documents; blog posts, reports, public comments, or other relevant writings that showcase the applicants’ writing skills and independent thinking are very welcome, as are more traditional articles, briefs, or memoranda), and
- a brief statement on how your background or experiences would enhance the diversity, inclusivity, or perspectives of Policy Integrity, and
- the names and contact information of three references.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405