Full-Time Manager of Philanthropic Engagement
Sempervirens Fund seeks a Manager of Philanthropic Engagement (MPE) who will be responsible for identifying, cultivating relationships, and soliciting current and prospective mid-level gift donors ($1K-$5K). This involves researching prospects, making qualifying calls, and developing effective cultivation and stewardship strategies. Solicitations are developed in partnership with the Direct Response consultants.
The MPE will report to the Chief of Philanthropy and has a close working relationship with other staff. This is a full-time position. This position requires transportation and is hybrid, working remotely but attending in-person staff meetings once a month in the Bay Area. The MPE mostly engages with donors remotely and through events in the Bay Area and in the Santa Cruz mountains on Sempervirens Fund protected land, and In California State Parks.
Identify, cultivate, solicit (mostly in writing but some in-person), and steward current donors and prospects with the capacity to make gifts in the $1,000 – $5,000 range (mid-level donors)
Work with the more than 600 donors who give between $1,000 – $5,000 and increase these annual donations, using moves management and other techniques
Grow relationships with your portfolio donors with regular personal phone calls, mailings, emails, videos, and small events, including hikes and other outdoor events
Work with the Director of Legacy and Tribute Giving to solicit donors for tribute gifts and identify legacy prospects
In partnership with the Director of Major Gifts, help qualify major gift prospects to proactively cultivate for future gifts
Maintain ongoing communication with the Philanthropy and Marketing team to ensure consistent brand messaging and solicitation activities with donors and prospects
Work with the Manager of Annual Philanthropic Giving and consultants to manage the Direct Response mailings and emails to Mid-level donors, including importing and exporting data, and reviewing ask amounts
Work with the team to plan and coordinate events as needed to accomplish fundraising goals.
Research donor prospects and produce donor briefs as needed
Occasionally, create donor gift proposal documents, as needed
Achieve personal fundraising and activity goals monthly, quarterly, and annually and produce reports to track progress towards goals
- Two to three years of fundraising experience that demonstrates an ability to engage and connect with donors and strategize to increase annual individual donations (or comparable experience)
- Ability to engage or connect with donors remotely via phone and zoom
- Proven track record of building strong donor relationships
- Strong communicator – in person and on the phone
- Strong writer, with strategic thinking, analytical skills, and attention to detail
- Outstanding stewardship and relationship management skills
- Discipline, and ability to be a results-oriented self-starter
- Ability to travel locally, regionally, and once a year, out of state.
- Some weekend and evening work may occasionally be required
- Technology competency, including knowledge of Microsoft 365, and experience with a fundraising CRM, Raiser’s Edge preferred
- Attention to confidentiality and discretion required
- Passion for and commitment to the mission of Sempervirens Fund
The salary range for this position is $75,000-$80,000 with full benefits.
- Collaborative and supportive team environment
- Work-life balance culture
- Family-friendly policies
- Employer paid medical, dental, vision, and life insurance for the employee
- 13 paid holidays per year
- Three weeks’ vacation in the first year
- Twelve days paid sick leave per year
- Employer retirement plan match of 5% of annual salary for the first five years and then 8% after that
- Professional development
- Remote-from-home work environment
- Access to Regus co-working spaces
- Cell phone and home internet stipend
- Opportunity to preserve and protect magnificent redwood forests
- Opportunity to hike with donors in beautiful settings!