Full-Time Manager, Company Network (Food & Beverage)
Manager, Company Network (Food & Beverage)
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
Description and Responsibilities
The Ceres Company Network is a collaborative team of sustainable business strategists who bring a depth of expertise in environmental, social and governance issues to guide work with our members. Ceres member companies commit to solutions-oriented, long-term engagement with stakeholders and shareholders to improve their sustainability performance.
The Ceres Company Network comprises more than 50 leading U.S. companies that are setting the highest bar for sustainability leadership, committing to robust sustainability goals, and improving resiliency in their operations and supply chains. Ceres enjoys a unique, direct advocacy relationship with Network members, leveraging the Ceres Roadmap for Sustainability—our strategic vision and practical framework for sustainable corporations in the 21st century—as well as access to investors and other advocacy organizations to move companies to make environmental, social and governance considerations integral to their core business strategies.
We are seeking a Manager for the Company Network to act as the relationship manager for Ceres member companies in the food and beverage and retail sectors. The Manager will support Ceres’ strategy for accelerating sustainability leadership in these key sectors by helping member companies realize the competitive advantage of integrating ESG issues into core business strategies. The Manager will be part of a fifteen-person team working with companies to integrate sustainability into core business strategies, leveraging the Ceres Roadmap for Sustainability.
This is a full-time position based in our Boston office with line reporting to one of the Directors of the Company Network. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Act as relationship manager for a portfolio of 8-10 companies in the Ceres Company Network—providing expert guidance on the sustainable business strategies of member companies, assessing and tracking their performance against the expectations of the Ceres Roadmap, and customizing annual engagement plans to drive company progress and leadership.
- Manage and facilitate the ongoing, multi-stakeholder dialogues that bring together Ceres member companies with investors, social and environmental advocates, and other experts to advise the company’s sustainability strategy, disclosure, policy development and programmatic priorities covering topics such as climate and clean energy, water, agriculture, human rights, supply chains, governance for sustainability and disclosure.
- Manage cross-organizational coordination on Ceres engagement strategy with the food and beverage and retail sectors, representing the Company Network’s priorities and theory of change.
- Help develop and execute annual programmatic goals for advancing sustainability leadership within the food and beverage and retail sectors, as well as support strategic planning and results-driven performance for the Ceres Company Network.
- Develop briefings or presentations for members of the Ceres leadership team in support of their engagement with companies, investors or other external audiences.
- Participate in the design, development and implementation of tools and resources to drive forward leadership in corporate sustainability practice as laid out in the Ceres Roadmap for Sustainability.
- Partner on developing external communications and engagement opportunities (workshops, webinars, multi-media communications) to bring Ceres expertise to the corporate, investor and advocacy communities.
- Contribute to the collaborative environment of the Ceres Company Network Team through guidance and mentorship, ongoing training and direct supervision, as necessary, of new and existing team members.
- Grow team revenue through development of fee for service project opportunities with companies within and beyond the Network.
- Help build the pipeline of companies joining the Company Network by identifying prospective members and supporting the outreach process.
- Assist in the planning of the annual Ceres Conference program and other events.
- Represent Ceres externally by attending and speaking at relevant conferences and events.
- Five years or more of full-time, direct experience beyond Internships working on sustainability and corporate responsibility issues in the corporate, investor or non-profit sectors.
- Expertise on and understanding of those sustainability issues material to the food and beverage and retail sectors, including climate, water, agriculture, supply chains and human rights, as well as governance and disclosure systems.
- Understanding of corporations (including corporate reporting and business strategy tools) and the socially responsible investment community.
- Experience in North American context is required, coupled with an understanding of the broader international context for sustainability.
- Proven project management experience, with demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining attention to detail.
- Demonstrated advocacy skills developed working to move change in an organization.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills for both internal and external audiences.
- Effective facilitation skills with the ability to bring divergent ideas to a productive conclusion. Experience working with diverse constituents and making everyone feel valued and respected, a plus.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Proven leadership and people skills, including a demonstrated ability to mentor the skills and effectiveness of other team members, with a special focus on equity.
- Ability to move seamlessly between collaborative, team-driven activities and independent projects.
- Ability to bring a positive outlook and energetic commitment to working at Ceres on a daily basis and to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Passion for accelerating and expanding the adoption of sustainable business practices and solutions to build a healthy global economy.