Full-Time Manager, Business Engagement
Manager, Business Engagement
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) seeks a dynamic Manager for Business Engagement to support IMT’s corporate engagement to drive market adoption of decarbonized, high-performing buildings. The successful candidate is passionate about sustainable practices, and has an entrepreneurial spirit with the confidence to explore, create, and lead non-traditional solutions that strive to change business as usual. This role provides a unique opportunity to drive market-transforming solutions that harness the momentum of leading companies as they raise their climate ambitions to achieve carbon, energy, and social objectives of unprecedented scale. The role requires direct working knowledge of the real estate industry and the capability of representing IMT externally to engage with stakeholders in commercial real estate (owners, operators, tenants, lenders, investors, and brokers), retailers, energy service providers, and related communities. This position reports to the Director for Business Engagement and will work collaboratively throughout the organization.
- Lead the development and implementation of two to five demonstration projects that design and test market-transforming solutions with the commercial real estate community
- Synthesize and publicly present thought-leading ideas through public presentations, written resources, publishable articles, and/or blogs
- Contribute subject matter expertise to the development of forward-thinking solutions that accelerate demand for efficiency through high-performance leasing, tenant programs, commercial real estate finance and valuation, and technology
- Work collaboratively with IMT’s Public Sector team to identify and facilitate ways that local governments and utilities can partner with, incentivize, and motivate the private sector to decarbonize buildings
- Facilitate public-private partnership opportunities with companies, nonprofits, and government agencies to develop energy-saving strategies through market- and policy-based mechanisms
- Develop analytical models to quantify the impact of the IMT’s market-engagement efforts and the impact of private sector transformation
- Contribute to evolving the strategic direction of IMT’s business engagement work, likely leading one or more areas of focus within the overall program
Qualifications and Skills
- Undergraduate degree—or comparable experience—in real estate, finance, business, or related field
- 5+ years of work experience in commercial real estate, energy services, ESG, or a related field
- Ability to lead multiple projects simultaneously and manage complex workflows
- Appetite for tackling difficult climate and energy problems head-on, with a demonstrated ability to devise creative yet structured approaches to overcoming such challenges
- Demonstration of project management that includes diligent project planning, proactive budgeting, creative execution, a commitment to continuous improvement, and a drive towards completion
- Skilled communicator with a professional demeanor who can develop and present material with confidence, can read the interest of the audience and pivot presentation tactics accordingly
- Experience managing interns or other staff directly
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills to inform organizational decisions and activities
- Ability to work with a variety of stakeholders including building owners and operators, policy-makers, finance professionals, and other industry professionals
About the Institute for Market Transformation
The Institute for Market Transformation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, with a mission to catalyze demand for high-performing buildings. Achieving this vision requires market transformation through strategic interventions that remove barriers and to provide an easier path to an energy-efficient built environment. We work in partnership with businesses, policymakers, and environmental groups that are leading the future of energy efficiency. With over 20 years of experience, IMT has supported large-scale outcomes as a driver of important new practices and policies that benefit cities, businesses, the economy and the environment.
Headquartered in downtown Washington, DC, we provide a vibrant, collaborative and flexible workplace that brings together diverse expertise. We empower our staff to constantly learn while achieving big goals, and have a great deal of fun along the way.
IMT values all types of diversity-including racial, ethnic, and gender–and is committed to promoting and fostering a diverse organization. IMT is an equal opportunity employer.