Full-Time Manager, Agriculture and Water
Manager, Agriculture and Water
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
Ceres’ Water Program promotes capital market solutions to the global water crisis by accelerating private sector leadership on sustainable water management, through cutting-edge research, company engagement, investor mobilization and advocacy. Ultimately our work is about changing the way the world’s largest economic actors value and manage water.
The Manager, Water and Agriculture position supports the water program’s efforts to protect freshwater from the impacts of agriculture, with a focus on influencing the largest food and beverage and apparel companies to improve the sustainability of their agricultural sourcing policies and practices. We seek an energetic, highly motivated, self-starter to play a critical programmatic and research role. The Manager will contribute to key programmatic projects and conduct research on environmental impacts of agricultural supply chains to inform investor-led engagements with companies and direct corporate engagements. The Manager will be part of a dynamic team working with investors, companies and other NGOs to improve water stewardship practices. This is a full-time position reporting to the Senior Manager, Water.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Conduct research, analyses and benchmarking of corporate water stewardship activities and progress to inform ongoing, programmatic strategy on investor engagements and direct company engagements.
- Provide technical insight and review on internal and external water-related research and analysis.
- Support efforts to further corporate commitments and collective action around water and sustainable sourcing in relation to the team’s Valuing Water Finance Initiative goals.
- Engage directly with companies, including Ceres Company Network members, on opportunities for improving their management of water risk.
- Ensure investors are informed about water issues and best practices associated with the agricultural supply chains of focus companies, through written briefs, working group meetings, and/or webinars.
- Contribute to the production, release and distribution of research reports and related blog posts.
- Develop, maintain and update sustainable water and agriculture datasets and Salesforce tracking systems to ensure contacts, meetings, deliverables, news flow and other important information is tracked and available.
- Partner with the Senior Manager in development and management of team planning, goal setting, and impact tracking.
- Participate in Water team activities, such as weekly team meetings, quarterly and annual program reviews, and annual planning meetings.
- Work across Ceres teams to ensure strategic integration of work, with a particular focus on the Food & Forests, Investor Network, and Company Network programs
- Minimum of five years of work experience, preferably direct experience working in or in collaboration with the corporate sector on agricultural supply chain issues.
- Knowledge of sustainable agriculture practices and concepts.
- Strong research and quantitative and data analysis skills, including the ability to collect, sort and identify trends in large datasets.
- An understanding of institutional investors and financial markets, a plus.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, including synthesizing research and conceptual work into actionable steps.
- Demonstrated capacity to handle and prioritize multiple tasks, set priorities, meet deadlines, take precise notes, and work well in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Strong writing and project management skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
- Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization.
The hiring salary range for this position is $75,000-$77,000.
How to Apply
- We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org.
- If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit our Careers page, select the "Manager, Agriculture and Water" job from the list, and click the Apply For This Position button at the bottom of this announcement. Please submit a resume, cover letter, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
- Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. We do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.