Full-Time Maintenance, Construction, and Resource Supervisor
Do you enjoy working outdoors? Do you have a passion for preserving outdoor recreation and open space? Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District is recruiting for a Maintenance, Construction, and Resource Supervisor to plan, schedule, assign, and review the work of staff responsible for the construction, modification, maintenance, restoration, and repair of District lands and facilities in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
About Midpen: Midpen is a regional greenbelt system in the Santa Cruz Mountain region comprised of more than 65,000 acres of land with nearly 250 miles of trails in 26 extraordinary open space preserves, permanently protected for natural resource conservation, public enjoyment and recreation. Midpen is a public agency with a focused mission that guides our work, and where every employee makes an impact. If you are looking for an outstanding opportunity to contribute to the legacy of open space protection, natural resource restoration and outdoor recreation, working with an incredible team of like-minded colleagues, we invite you to apply for this position! Check out the Working for Midpen video on our Employment Opportunities page.
About the Position: The Maintenance, Construction, and Resource Supervisor focuses on supervising staff responsible for implementing capital improvement projects, natural resource management, and general preserve maintenance. The ideal candidate is expected to plan, prioritize, and manage construction and maintenance projects; communicate well and collaborate closely with other departments to complete project requirements; work closely with consultant teams; work with local and regulatory jurisdictional agencies to comply with permitting requirements; evaluate employee performance and ensure that safety procedures are followed. For additional information about the Maintenance, Construction, and Resource Supervisor duties, see the Job Description on the District website. The position receives general direction from the Capital Projects Manager or Area Manager and exercises direct and general supervision over technical and maintenance staff.
A Few Reasons Why You May Love This Job
- Collaborative work that directly supports Midpen’s mission to protect and restore the natural environment and contributes to providing nature’s benefits to everyone
- You’ll be part of a talented and dynamic team of bright, energetic, and motivated professionals with a passion for the outdoors, trails, and preserving open space
- Excellent employee benefits, including medical, dental, vision, tuition reimbursement, and a retirement pension through California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS)
Working Conditions: Work is a combination of office work and outdoor setting within the District’s open space lands with exposure to inclement weather conditions. May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays. Must wear prescribed District uniform and adhere to strict safety procedures and work habits. Employees must possess the ability to lift and carry materials and objects weighing up to 60 pounds and must possess the ability to push and pull objects weighing up to 100 pounds, with the use of proper equipment. Work location may be at any of these offices:
- Skyline Field Office – La Honda
- Foothills Field Office – Cupertino
- South Area Office – Campbell
Education and Experience: We realize your time is valuable, so please apply only if you have at least the required minimum qualifications outlined here: any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
Equivalent to an Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in park maintenance, resource management, or a related field and five (5) years of experience in construction and maintenance of and/or management of natural resources in a park, open space, and/or related facilities.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License
- Possession of a valid California Class A or Class B Driver License and required endorsements desirable.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Professional Rescuer Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid First Responder or equivalent certification.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, the level of certification in the Incident Command System courses as specified under the National Incident Management System (NIMS).
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a District approved Fire Suppression Training certification.
- Depending on assignment, possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate Qualified Applicator’s certificate.
- Depending on assignment, possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Grade I Water Treatment Operator Certificate and Grade I Water Distribution Operator Certificate issued by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH).
Benefits: Midpen provides an excellent benefits package including health, life & disability insurance as well as CalPERS pension. Please see the Benefits page on the District website for details.
Additional Information: This position requires passing a pre-employment physical exam including a Department of Transportation (DOT) mandated pre-employment drug and alcohol screening and is subject to ongoing random drug and alcohol testing as required by the DOT and the District’s Substance Abuse Policy.
How to Apply
- Click here to apply online
- How to Apply: A note to applicants who currently live outside of the San Francisco Bay Area: before committing to the application process, and if you haven’t done so already, we suggest evaluating the feasibility of relocation. We recommend researching the cost of living in the San Francisco Bay Area, the cost to relocate, and typical commute times to the field office locations from outlying areas.
- Ready to apply? Great! We welcome your application online by clicking here.
- To avoid missing important email communication about this recruitment, we suggest adding [email protected] to your contacts or list of safe senders.
- Application deadline is April 10, 2022. Applicants with the most relevant experience and qualifications suitable for the position will be contacted for an interview.
The following application items are required to be considered*:
- Fully completed CalOpps employment application
- Cover letter
- Supplemental question responses
- *Incomplete CalOpps employment applications, or applications without the required application items listed here, will not be considered for the position.
- Employment offers are conditional upon the results of a fingerprint background check and a pre-employment physical.
- First Interview (virtual): April 25, 2022
- Skills Test (in-person): April 27, 2022
- Second Interview (in-person or virtual): May 3, 2022
- Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation by contacting the Human Resources department at 650-691-1200.
- Put your passion for Open Space to work!