Full-Time Legislative Coordinator
The Climate Reality Project
Reports To: Chapter Engagement Manager
Direct Reports: This position does not manage other positions
The Climate Reality Project, a nonprofit organization founded by former Vice President Al Gore, is offering a full-time position for a Legislative Coordinator to work with the Engagement team. This position will play an integral role in a fast-paced organization that combines strategic campaigns and engagement and cutting-edge communications to win concrete victories on the path to solving the climate crisis.
General Overview: The Legislative Coordinator is responsible for supporting Climate Reality’s federal engagement campaign, Our Climate Moment™: Let’s Get to Work. Our Climate Moment mobilizes activists across the country to build unrelenting pressure on Congress and the Biden Administration to act quickly on targeted policy solutions that will: rapidly reduce greenhouse gas emissions; accelerate a just transition to clean energy and put the US on the path to net zero by 2050; create good green jobs across the country; invest in the frontline communities hit first and worst by fossil fuel pollution, climate change, and systemic racism, ensuring all Americans enjoy clean air and water and the opportunities to build the future they want; support fossil fuel workers and families through energy transition, creating jobs with a future so no one is left behind; reverse disastrous Trump Administration regulations that gutted environmental protections. This campaign focuses on a three-pronged approach of training US chapter leaders and members, working with and helping organize them to contact and meet with their federal representatives and staff; working in coalitions with other groups to advance collective goals and messaging; and amplifying the voices of Americans across the country demanding a just and green future for all.
The Legislative Coordinator is responsible for supporting chapters running our federal advocacy campaign by guiding and tracking chapters’ campaign planning and execution, leadership development, and more. The Coordinator will provide project management support to Engagement staff, Policy staff and the Climate Reality interdepartmental working group. The Coordinator will provide support in: documenting Congressional contacts, setting federal official meetings for chapters, and documenting federal official meeting outcomes. The Coordinator will also assist with the planning and implementation of organizational events promoting federal action. This position is based in Washington, DC.
Our Washington, DC office is presently closed due to the COVID-19 health emergency. Therefore, we will accept remote applicants who work/reside in the following states: CA, CO, DC, FL, IL, MA, MD, ME, NC, NY, OR, PA, TN, and VA. Relocating to Washington, DC will be required when our Washington, DC office safely re-opens post-pandemic (exact timing TBD).
Successful applicants must be at least 18 years of age and will be asked to show proof that they can legally work in the United States.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supporting and providing technical assistance to community and campus chapters running Our Climate Moment by: federal target mapping, community mapping of federal asks; scheduling and attending lobbying meetings; and building long-term relationships with their Members of Congress.
- Coordinating monthly federal update calls for chapter point people participating in the campaign, as well as updating the online working group page with relevant campaign updates and resources.
- Tracking progress of Our Climate Moment campaign and chapter development in coordination with the Chapter Support Team.
- Supporting the creation of campaign materials such as toolkits, one pagers, FAQs, and educational technical information for both Chapters and public supporters.
- Drafting scripts, recruitment materials, and other written materials as needed.
- Supporting the ongoing training of chapters on federal engagement and organizing skills through developing Chapter Training Series curriculum content.
- Attending priority states’ coalition calls to strengthen relationships with national and regional organizations.
- Providing on-going support, follow-up, and leadership development focused on federal advocacy at Climate Reality Leadership Corps trainings and/or days of action.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 3-5 years of legislative, policy, or political experience at the federal and/or state level.
- Experience with organizing and/or volunteer engagement
- Climate change experience preferred.
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to manage deadlines and multi-task.
- Experience and awareness of cultural diversity, ability to work effectively with a diverse group of organizations and volunteers.
- Salesforce and/or EveryAction experience preferred.
- Sense of urgency and good time management skills.
- A dedication to solving the climate crisis.
Salary and Benefits
- $50,000 – $60,000
- Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, 401K, etc.
How to ApplyTo Apply Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org The Climate Reality Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or any other category prohibited by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities and termination.
Apply for this Job
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /nfs/c03/h03/mnt/55772/domains/greenjobs.greenjobsearch.org/html/wp-includes/class-wp-comment-query.php on line 405