Full-Time Legal Assistant – Operations
Sierra Club is seeking a Legal Assistant – Operations to join its national legal team as a Legal/Operations Assistant for Sierra Club’s Environmental Law Program. Under the supervision of the Operations Manager, the Legal Assistant – Operations would provide operations support for the Environmental Law Program. In addition, they would provide some litigation and research support for the attorneys and campaigns at the Sierra Club.
Location: Oakland, CA
1. Performs a range of operations and clerical duties which include reimbursement processing, travel logistics, copying, supply ordering, ELP email administration, mail pickup, and managing various spreadsheets for general program information.
2. Works with the finance department, the Operations Manager, and program staff to process invoices, execute task orders, and create and update contracts with outside vendors.
3. Supports the Operations Manager in running the digital and social media for the Environmental Law Program.
4. Provide administrative support to the Law Program Director. This includes but is not limited to scheduling, processing expense reports, coordinating travel, and various other administrative tasks.
5. Provides administrative support for the law student internship program, including communications with law schools, maintaining internship and job postings, and coordinating intern/new hire application process, training, and events.
6. Organizes bi-annual staff retreats and other law program events in coordination with the Operations Manager.
1. Collaborates with paralegals, attorneys, and other ELP staff to complete the critical, precise tasks of courtroom litigation, including editing, formatting and otherwise preparing legal documents, communicating with court clerks, and filing and serving documents properly and on time. Provides day-to-day coordination of dockets and acts as liaison between ELP and outside groups.
2. Interviews potential standing declarants and drafts standing declarations under the supervision of attorneys.
3. Performs basic research tasks via legal and technical databases (Lexis, Westlaw, SNL, etc.).
4. Performs continuous maintenance and updating of legal action database (LANDS), law program web pages, and legal research library.
1. Monitors and reports all relevant public information regarding permitting, public notices, and media relating to current and potential legal actions relating to coal plants and other priority targets of Sierra Club campaigns.
2. Conducts miscellaneous research in support of Sierra Club campaigns.
3. Tracks and records the status of litigation, rulemakings, etc. to enable access to legal and technical resources by the network of attorneys and allied organizations collaborating on Club campaigns.
4. Drafts, produces, and disseminates educational and promotional materials associated with legal actions against targeted entities for the public, media, grassroots groups, and other audiences. Communicates with SC staff and external audiences through website and other relevant media outlets.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Excellent organizational skills and the ability to perform multiple task and adhere to deadlines.
Computer skills: Experience with word processing (WordPerfect and Word) and preferably database management skills (including strong familiarity with Excel). General computer literacy and solid internet research skills required.
Solid research, writing, oral communication, analytical, and interpersonal skills required.
Ability to do precise, careful work needed for courtroom filings, attorney admissions, and correspondence with courts, etc.
Ability to work successfully in teams and under own initiative, to handle multiple assignments simultaneously, and to make timely decisions.