Full-Time Legal Assistant
The Southern Environmental Law Center is seeking a legal assistant to join our Nashville, TN office. SELC uses law and policy expertise to protect the South’s natural resources—its land, air, water, coast and wetlands—and to preserve our rural countryside and community character. Although our regional focus is the Southeast, much of our work is national in scope and impact.
The principal responsibilities of the legal assistant are to provide support to the attorneys in the office and perform and coordinate administrative functions. This support will fall into two main categories. The assistant will have a full range of legal support responsibilities, including court related filings as well as research tasks. In addition, the assistant will support the attorneys generally, assist in report and presentation preparation and help the Office Director maintain an efficient and well-organized office.
Come join SELC and help make a difference in our region.
About the Position:
- Provides legal and administrative support to SELC attorneys, including court filings, research, proofreading and editing written materials, and other legal tasks.
- Provides general clerical support for the office, including office administration, answering phones, greeting visitors, interacting with vendors, word processing, booking travel, preparing expense reports and filing.
- Responds to public inquiries about SELC.
- Bachelor’s degree or the combined equivalent of education and legal experience.
- Office experience.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work closely and professionally with a team of attorneys, other administrative staff and the communications team.
- Must work effectively and efficiently under tight deadlines.
- Proficiency with PCs and Microsoft Office applications.
- Detail-oriented and well-organized.
- Positive attitude.
- Two years of legal experience.
- Environmental interest.
SELC offers salaries competitive with other leading environmental non-profits nationally, and provides a strong benefits package.
More about SELC:
With nine offices across the region (Charlottesville, VA; Chapel Hill, NC; Atlanta, GA; Charleston, SC; Washington, DC; Birmingham, AL; Nashville, TN; Asheville, NC; and Richmond, VA), SELC is widely recognized as the Southeast’s foremost environmental organization and regional leader. SELC works on a full range of environmental issues to protect the South’s natural resources and the health and well-being of its people.
SELC works in Congress and state legislatures to inform environmental laws; in regulatory agencies to implement environmental laws and policies; and in the courts to enforce the law, stop the worst abuses, and set important precedents. The organization works collaboratively with more than 100 national, state, and local groups to enhance their efficacy and achieve common conservation goals. SELC currently has a staff of 160, with over 80 attorneys, including some of the nation’s leading experts in their respective fields. Additional information is available at www.southernenvironment.org.
SELC prides itself on collegiality, teamwork, and mutual respect among its staff and board. We seek to bring these same values to our work in partnership with organizations, communities, and people of all backgrounds that share our mission to protect the environment of the South. The South has a rich natural diversity and an equally rich cultural diversity. To better fulfill its mission, SELC is committed to broadening the diversity of its staff. We believe this will strengthen our organization and our effectiveness in responding to the many environmental challenges affecting the South and its people.
How to Apply
- To apply, click here to be directed to an online application where you may upload your application materials. Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and three references. Interested persons should apply immediately.
- SELC believes that a broad range of ideas, life experiences, and backgrounds enriches our workplace, drives innovative thinking, and attracts highly talented people who seek a work environment that values the unique contributions of individual team members. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this belief. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflect the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.