Full-Time Legal Administrative Assistant – Atlanta, GA
The Southern Environmental Law Center is seeking a legal administrative assistant to join our Atlanta, Ga. office. SELC uses law and policy expertise to protect the South’s natural resources—its land, air, water, coast and wetlands—and to preserve our rural countryside and community character. Although our regional focus is the Southeast, much of our work is national in scope and impact.
The principal responsibilities of the legal administrative assistant are to provide support to the attorneys in the office and perform and coordinate administrative functions. This support will fall into two main categories. The assistant will have a full range of legal support responsibilities; including court related filings, as well as possible research tasks. In addition, the assistant will support the attorneys generally, assist in report and presentation preparation and help maintain an efficient and well-organized office. This position may also support the work of our communications staff.
Come join SELC and help make a difference in our region.
About the Position:
- Provides general clerical support for the office, including answering phones, ordering office supplies, booking travel, submitting expense reports, and interacting with vendors, building management, and security.
- Responds to public inquiries about SELC.
- Communicates regularly with partner groups and experts.
- Provides legal and administrative support to SELC attorneys, including submitting court filings in both State and Federal Courts, submitting comment letters, researching local court rules, calendaring deadlines, proofreading and editing written materials, and other legal support tasks.
- Maintains digital and physical files including pleadings, transcripts, memos, and correspondence; experience with i-Manage/FileSite a plus.
- Submits FOIA requests and reviews responsive documents in e-discovery software; experience with Logikcull a plus.
- Performs non-legal research related to our work, including tracking data.
- Assists fellow legal assistants with daily tasks in a team-oriented environment.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent mix of education and experience.
- At least two years of legal assistant or paralegal experience. Litigation assistance strongly preferred.
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; you engage in ongoing personal learning and are eager to contribute to our organizational efforts to be a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm for clerical, support, and substantive tasks.
- Mentally flexible, highly reliable, and punctual.
- Ability to work well both independently and within several different teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work effectively and efficiently under tight deadlines.
- Proficiency with PCs and Microsoft Office applications, including editing and working with pdfs in Adobe, formatting and formulas in Excel spreadsheets, advanced word processing skills in Word, and creating professional Power Point presentations.
- Demonstrated organizational and administrative skills.
- Litigation support experience.
- Environmental interest.
SELC offers salaries competitive with other leading environmental non-profits nationally, and provides a strong benefits package.
The Southern Environmental Law Center is one of the nation’s most powerful defenders of the environment, rooted in the South. With a long track record, SELC takes on the toughest environmental challenges in court, in government, and in our communities to protect our region’s air, water, climate, wildlife, lands, and people. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the organization has a staff of 170, including 90 attorneys, and is headquartered in Charlottesville, Va., with offices in Asheville, Atlanta, Birmingham, Chapel Hill, Charleston, Nashville, Richmond, and Washington, D.C. southernenvironment.org
SELC believes that a broad range of ideas, life experiences, and backgrounds enriches our workplace, drives innovative thinking, and attracts highly talented people who seek a work environment that values the unique contributions of individual team members. We are eager to welcome new team members who share this belief. We still have much progress to make, but our goal is to create and maintain a staff that, at every level, reflect the rich racial and cultural diversity of the communities where we work and the clients that we serve. SELC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment. We are looking for people to join us in this effort. Persons of all backgrounds—including people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates—are strongly encouraged to apply.